Ok complete change of plan

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Boston, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wardd

wardd Senior Member

after ww2 the us debt ratio was far more than it is now and we got out and had a boom beginning in the late 40's

but at the time the wealth inequality wasn't nearly as great as now

when a few control most of the wealth what's left for the rest to purchase with, with out excessive debt?

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

actually what helped most was that the US economy at the end of WW2 was one of the few left in one piece. Europes economies were shattered, the Asian economies were even worse off, Basically the USA was the only industrial country that could sell sell sell to the world.

My grandmother was in Japan for over 10 years as an advisor for the new economic regime we set up there and this is one subject I got down brother. The only reason the USA got out of the great depression is because our geographical location protected us from the destructive forces that left the rest of the world at our mercy economically.

Took the world about 30 years or so to catch up and then guess what, Thanks to our political non-leaders they passed us like a shot and now where are we

check out statistics for the industrialized world, the USA ranks last in so many categories its ridiculous

and now they are talking about a second round of borrowing to get out of debt

these fools will never learn

I am debt free and what I'm learning is that even with my pittance I still have a leg up over those dont have hard cash in hand

its unbelievable what waving cash in front of some people can accomplish in this economy

cheers
    B

3. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Boston for this you get 10/10

and that's what it's all really about

:D me too

1 person likes this.
  4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

being debt free is really really helping
    I probably wouldn't be able to do this had I not so adamantly refused on borrowing for the stuff I didn't need anyway and ending up saddled with interest payments

cash has always been my only option, its limiting in its way but its freedom that is hard to describe.

5. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

My wife and I are applying for a loan to put a manufactured home on property we own. We're having to use her credit, because it's significantly higher than mine. And why is her credit rated higher than mine, even though I'm the one bringing home the money? Because the revolving accounts and credit cards are in her name.

Apparently, the fact that I seemingly don't already owe a bunch of money makes them reluctant to lend me any....:)

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

buddy of mine got a job selling cars and was dying to sell me on. Poor guy was starving so I said sure what the hell sell me a car. I went in cash but they wouldn't do anything without running my credit history. I told them it would come back zero but they didn't believe me and insisted. ok, came back zero just as I had said it would. Guy said he'd never seen that before other than in some high school kid.

for some reason if your not in there system they work pretty hard to make it cost you as much as possible if you ever need them when in fact I'm likely the best credit risk going right about now given that most people are in up to there ears and have no way out or of ever even catching up.

white people

go figure

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

OK still no word back from these folks but I guess it will take time. Its some kind of church and you know how they do everything by committee, so there will likely have to be some kind of meeting or something. Who knows I just hope they get back to me soon cause I just might buy something else in the mean time, depends what I find.

oh well
    lets see what happens tomorrow

8. wardd

wardd Senior Member

and prayer, lots of prayer

9. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ok received a counter offer

going to think about it for a few days

B

10. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

No...don't know that one....It doesn't show in the ship's registry under that name....but I have a feeling it's imported...there's something very English about those too tall pilothouse windows...just a feeling.....

I'm exhausted...been working on the Pine Isle all day hopping to sell her tomorrow...we'll see....

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Tad I called on that last one you suggested, poor sales guy is had about enough of the inquiries. It's not nearly as nice as the Hieda Princes and they are pretty draconian about the survey process, another fine example of people who didn't know they had to give an old wood yacht a lot of attention

I guess the guy used it as a floating apartment for a few years, long enough to get behind on the maintenance and just long enough to realize what that's going to cost him

Thanks for the suggest

It's great warning of what not to do

B

12. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

the home of amex & the land of the free credit

1 person likes this.
  13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

seems the more I look the more I find these old woodies in the hands of folks who had no idea what taking care of a wooden structure was going to entail. Granted I'm a bit new to it as well but I did spend two years on the forum learning what I could before I got serious about a purchase. That and a life time of woodworking. Thing is if I just keep my eyes open I might just end up with that old elco 57 I've always wanted. The Hieda is going to be a great first boat but eventually I will want something a bit more conducive to blue water.

I'm going to make a counter counter offer today and it should seal the deal. Looks like I'm going in with both feet, looking forward to the ride actually

next question is

how do you mothball one of these things

I'm adamant about having the cash on hand before I start repairs so I want to just sit on this thing for a few months until I do.

that and I need to find a warehouse to put it

I know drying out is a problem so being over dirt would be ideal but that might not be as easily said as done. Most warehouses have concrete floors

that and I need some wavy mahogany
    about 500 ft should do it

any ideas

thanks
    B

ps
    either way I slice it I will have to trailer it twice, once to a location were I can fix it, and once to launch it. so whether I fix it in Portland or not is irrelevant to the cost of moving her. Warehouse space might be cheaper in Portland as things there are pretty slack right about now.

I'll make my final offer today and if all goes well start looking for a place to put it tomorrow or the next day

thanks for all the help folks
    I might stay on the columbia for a while but eventually I'll trailer over to Seattle and harbor hop up to ketchican
    I'm hoping the inside passage wont be to rough on the old gal. If it is Ill just stick to the Seattle area and figure out something else for the passage

B

14. Brian@BNE

Brian@BNE Senior Member

Hey, sounds like you have a plan and I hope it works out.

Just a thought, seeing you have to put it onto a trailer, why not travel a bit further ie take it all the way home. Could be more simple in the long run than traveling to it regularly to do the work.

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

its a really long way to Colorado from Oregon

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.