Ok complete change of plan

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Boston, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'll second Ted's comments in that, you can fall hopelessly in love with a boob job and not see the STD covered ex-wife in the making.

2. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

oh that was a low blow ( so to speak )
    lets not besmirch the good name of perfect bresticles
    I go for the real deal anyway but a little silicone can help a lot depending

marriage eh
    not for me at all there shipmate
    its the leading cause of divorce
    has a direct link to gaining weight and a flagging sex life
    you want a nice looking polite girl best thing to do is keep her on her toes knowing its a choice and not an obligation

I'l unlikely ever get married

that said it does help to try and find middle ground in all things
    makes for a far more peaceful relationship

oh and ya Tad
    I was not sure I should be taking that thing through the Bar
    that flat bottom kinda frightens me
    now granted there is a whole world of sharpies out there but still
    I think it best to avoid any real blue water in that thing
    harbor hopping up the coast I think is the ticket in that particular vessel

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Actually Boston, I believe that was a mild mannered introduction. Wait till you hear the rake and balls explanation :D

1 person likes this.
  5. dskira

dskira Previous Member

So Boston she is yours?
    Congratulation she looks really beautiful.
    Some pictures when you get a chance.

Daniel

[​IMG]

6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Meanwhile I googled Haida Princess and found a photo gallery with 12 pictures of her, at the Classic Yacht Association. The last picture is actually a painting of her underway:

http://www.classicyacht.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=47&pid=390#top_display_media

Here's a sales ad for her. I quote:

A recent survey has uncovered numerous issues with this beautiful classic yacht. Repair costs range from the mid 20's to low 40's from local repair yards.

As a result the price has been reduced to "Fair Market Value", in current condition.

The yacht has been donated to an Oregon Church that has no interest in repairing the vessel. "Breakup" value just for the artifacts aboard is substantial.

Take a look, view the estimates, and OFFER accordingly! The survey can be purchased from the client who WAS interested.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/192...eck-Cruiser-1552013/Portland/OR/United-States

Here's a google excerpt from 'Classic Wooden Yachts of the Northwest,' by Ron McClure, that has a little history and a few more pictures:

http://books.google.com/books?id=lr...sQ6AEwAjgU#v=onepage&q=haida princess&f=false

As much as I admire the old gal, I'd shoot myself before I ever touched something with that many acres of varnished wood to take care of. She definitely needs someone a little more dedicated than I am. :p

And I'm not sure I should wish a project boat with serious issues onto a friend, either. On the other hand, I believe Boston has the stubbornness and skills necessary to bring her back to life, and I would hate to see such a beauty 'broken up for the artifacts aboard.'

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I read that as well, my bet is I would have a blast working on her. The task to me is half the fun. She has some history and is a known entity on the sound.

I will wait till I have the survey in hand but at least these folks are being honest as to her condition, which is more than I can say for most of the boats I've seen so far

8. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

If you decide she's worth having after seeing the survey, offer them $10,000. The extra 5,000 could buy a lot of wood and fasteners....

9. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Actualy the suggest from folks who know her best was a bit different but advice well taken

B

10. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Unless there are other interested parties and you're afraid she'll get snatched out from under you, you can always raise your offer if it's refused.:)

I read that all that varnish was covered with multiple layers of white house paint at one time. No wonder it took the O'Brians six years to renovate her...

11. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

you may like to contact Lew Barret on the wooden boat forum, he may know of a boat that will suit you ,if this boat is not suitable

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Patience is not my virtue but still I will just have to wait and see what the survey says

13. Pierre R

Pierre R Senior Member

This to me is really the only truely valid reason for working on such a boat. All other reasons to me are shaded attempts to cover up reality in the face of dreams.

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I gotta admit I am so sick of this decision I am ready to low ball this one just to see what happens

It's a good looking boat and would be a nice first boat to work on and tool around in for a while

In the end i'd still love that old elco 57 but I just want to get started on something and the Hieda Princess seems like a nice place to start

That and I'm dying to slice and dice on my own project for a change

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

update
    the guy who had it surveyed wants $500 for it but the seller says he has 3 estimated for fixing it and will send them along soonest

should make for some interesting reading

he says its not rotted but does have a bunch of broken ribs

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.