Ok- another brass/bronze question.

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by bntii, Apr 1, 2008.

1. bntii

bntii Senior Member

I have purchased and installed a 'keel plug' fitting in my 40' sailboat.

This fitting is a 3" flange with a tapped center that takes a 1 1/4" plug.
    It is installed so as to provide a means of keeping the hull draining during haul outs.
    The folks who made this fitting in their wisdom made the flange out of bronze and the plug out of brass. The above is boldly stated in the description of the part in the catalog.

What the heck?

Is the ideal that the plug is sacrificial? Is this some attempt to protect the flange?

The whole thing seems so fishy that I am looking about for a proper bronze plug to replace the supplied brass one with. Its tough to find as the plug has been milled with a 1/2" square hole to take a driver to extract the plug for hull draining.

Any ideals? Is this fitting good to go as provided?

Attached Files:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

What you want is West Marine part no. 350108 or you can check with Perko or Groco for a similar bronze plug.

You're correct the brass plug will become "sacrificial" in sea water.

3. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Thanks PAR,

Will get one from WM

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.