Super Glide

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Doug Lord, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

When I was 16 I raced a Windmill and did everything I could to improve speed.
    One of the things I did was use a paint called Super Glide, which contained molybdenumdisulfide powder-man was it slick. It had a gray color and I put it on from 6" above the chine to the whole bottom. My first major race after the paint job was the Southeastern Districts held in Montgomery, Alabama. Well, I had been doing pretty well before the paint job but at the Districts I won by over a mile in four races against about 10-12 boats. Needless to say that caught everybodies attention and the only thing that kept me from getting DSQ'd was that my brother had a tough fight for third place. My crew and I had worked hard before the race practing every day for over two months. So it wasn't all the paint but that was some very slick stuff!
    I've never forgotten it -I've searched the internet and there is another "Super Glide" now but it's not the same stuff.
    I want to try buying some molybdenumdisulfide powder and mixing it with a clear laquer- do you think that would produce a brushable coating?

me sailing main only:

Attached Files:

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Thanks, but it's not the same stuff and requires some sort of thermal bonding process. I'll contact them and ask more...

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Slavi, that stuff looks real good and can be applied with a roller! Excellent-thanks....

6. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Thank you both for looking into it. I'm going to try a couple of experiments.
    I've ordered molybdenumdisulfide powder from Amazon, of all places. I'm going to try mixing it with laquer but first I'm going to spray a small model hull with a bit of Krylon clear and then sprinke the powder into it and see what happens....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.