Oil Tanker Access Hatch Question

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ScubaCop, Nov 16, 2010.

  1. ScubaCop
    Joined: Nov 2010
    Posts: 1
    Likes: 0, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 10
    Location: Indiana

    ScubaCop ScubaCop

    I need to know about the access hatches on an Oil Tanker or Barge. I am told there are 18" and 24" access hatches into the holds of Tankers. Are these hatches round bolted flanges like on piping, or oval with latches?
  2. cthippo
    Joined: Sep 2010
    Posts: 792
    Likes: 41, Points: 28, Legacy Rep: 465
    Location: Bellingham WA

    cthippo Senior Member

    Usually oval with a smaller hatch on top for taking soundings. I'll see if I can find a picture.


    Try these guys. Most of the ones I've seen are of the raised bolted or raised waterproof type with a sounding port:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.