emergency fuel pump

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by kelp, Jun 17, 2009.

1. kelp

kelp Junior Member

I'm not a mechanic so don't laugh at this idea. Why can't I use a bicycle tire pump to pressurize my diesel fuel tank to supply fuel to engine in the event of fuel pump failure? Thanks for any feedback. By the way, I'm astounded at the high level of expertise of those of you that take the time to answer these questions. Thank you one and all.

2. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Well you have a vent. But if you where to close this off, Then you also may have fuel return line.

But biggest problem is when you pump, fuel flows, then you need to pump again. A lot of work

I have used a primer bulb in a emergency to keep motor running. Other idea just place small tank higher than motor after you prime it.

3. BeauVrolyk

BeauVrolyk Sailor

If you get a pump failure take a 5 gallon jerry can and hang it above the engine. Fill it with a manual pump and let it gravity feed down to the engine. Given that fuel pumps rarely fail - at least in my experience - setting up to do a good jury rig of a "day tank" is much better than screwing around with pumps.

BTW - day tanks are great for a number of reasons, you might want to have one anyway.

B

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Even a USCG fuel tank will buckle , but not fail with 5Psi.

Gravity would be a less dangerous get home than air.

An outboard tank was designed to feed fuel, why not use one ?

FF

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.