Oh wow! there has got to be a prize for this design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rwatson, Sep 14, 2009.

1. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

This guy is a genius - absolutely broke, but a genius

Attached Files:

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

It looks like it wants to go where the rest of GM (Government Motors) is headed.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The only problem with your logic Hoytedow, is the car is a Chrysler product.

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

You are right, but they are almost all Government Motors nowadays. Old eyes mistook it for a Chevette.

5. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

Excellent! I've wondered about two inflable pontoons being

used to make an auto amphibious. I was thinking of a roof mounted system that would somehow swing down.

Only problem is how to do the land/water transition.

His guy seems to have offered a solution of sorts.

6. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Oh yes SQidy, he *has* solved the land transition.

If my eyes dont fail me, the big paddleswheels on the front match the level of the two lowered rear wheels, so they can drive (or paddlewheel) up and down the boat ramp.

It must be a front wheel drive.

7. Squidly-Diddly

Going to be hell on the transmission/gear box with 3X

the diameter wheels trying to pull all that gear up the ramp!

Another interest of mine would be minimal set of "land wheels" for a otherwise normal medium sized (25 foot?) boat.

I've seen the amphibious motor-home and sports car, but those are mostly land vehicles that have been water proofed. I've also seen the RIB with the 3 tires.

I'm thinking of something where the tires would be 'fenders' but could fold down. Probably electrically or hydraulically driven wheels, as I can't think of practical mechanical way to transmit enough power to haul a boat up a ramp.

The idea would be to dispense with mooring fees and the trailer, and to a certain extent car-rental fees (upon landing on a distant shore). 25MPH on land would be plenty fast enough.

8. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I am with you there Mr Sq. Hyraulic wheels are a rare beast, and not always marinized.

There are lots of attempts, but this is the closest one to a usable configuration I have seen.

By usable, I mean you get a certain amount of protection from the elements, and comfort while travelling .

www.sealegs.com is probably the most successfull commercially, but not much animal shelter for extensive cruising.

And this is the *cheapest* solution I have seen, I am sure you will agree :)

9. Squidly-Diddly

Here are semi-common hydraulic hubs from 4x4 forklift.

The front axle is solid but the rear hubs are hydraulic and can be engaged for 4 wheel drive. This is the most common forklift on construction sites in the USA. The hubs look like they weigh at about 500lb not even counting the wheel/tire or pump on the engine.

I've heard the hydraulic hubs have more power than the front axle, which is pretty much a standard large Automatic Transmission geared low.

I haven't seen any smaller hydro-hubs.

Most "scissors lifts" have electrical hubs including electrical brakes that don't really work. On any slight grade they will 'creep'. However, the electrical drive seems to allow for a wide range of Power VS Speed without gears.
    [​IMG]"Grade-All" comes in several sizes.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.