need expert advice

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by nitromike02, Aug 18, 2008.

1. nitromike02

nitromike02 Junior Member

im looking at a 1961 matthews 42 standard cruiser. I would have about 600 dollars in it having it hauled to my house. it needs a lot of work but with my woodworking shop i can make every thing i need myself. just kind of wondering what all to look for and when to say no.

2. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Please post pics

3. nitromike02

4. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Man I love wooden boats.I think you have loads of work ahead. I hope you dont have a tight programme. I have 33 ft sail boat that is being refitted and I estimate about two years at the pace I am working at. However I am impressed with your boat. Strength to you man

5. nitromike02

do you think its worth messing with? I own a 36 regal and have fell in love with wooden boats. I have a 40x80 woodworking shop with a lot of woodworking machinry. I have never done a boat but love woodworking and have built alot of custom stair cases and cabinets. I think I can handle a boat. Im a guy that likes big and crazy challenges.

6. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

I would but that me.Others will probebly not. I went out and bought loads of wood working tools always had a affinity with things wood I am actually not very good at wood work but I can help myself. Question how do you feel around the old girl. If it feels right then it is nothing is worse than regret.

7. nitromike02

what is a good wood to use in place of mahogany

8. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

mahogany deck ?

9. nitromike02

for the sides of the boat

10. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

That may depend on how much of your hull planking you have to replace. Best to use like with like

11. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

For a craft of that class, you really need a boat carpenter and/or surveyor to come over and have a look see. There are just way too many issues to look for and a novice will easily miss most of them. Just from the one photo that I blew up, I can see several Mickey Mouse repairs, which leads me to think there are many more inside, out of sight, just waiting for you to toss hundred dollar bills at them. BOAT literally stands for Bring Over Another Thousand, particularly in this size.

Do just as you would if buying a used car (take it to a trusted mechanic) or older house (hire an inspector). This boat is no different. It could suck tens of thousands out of your wallet, if you don't know what you're getting into, which is the whole point behind having a survey preformed.

Meranti is a reasonable replacement for mahogany, though a trained eye can tell the difference.

12. xsboats

xsboats xsboats

Best to replace planking with same wood as you are removing. Using different wood , with different properties could lead to cracked frames, compressed plank edges [resulting in the loss of seam caulking], and other problems depending on location relative to the waterline.

13. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Nitro you bought the boat?

14. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

Nitromike2......Just say NO NO NO.

Ok I got that off my chest, and remember I said you shouldnt do it. Now lets deal with reality. Your going to do it. I know it, you know it. Your a romantic and you can see yourself on this boat at the local marina making everyone jelouse. Its important to acknoledge these facts so that we can seperate our realities, from our fantisies.

Ok when you get it to your house spend as much time and as much money as it takes to properly and completely support all of her hull. Nothing will drive down the value of your house faster then a 1956 50' Mathews sagging to death in the back yard. If you dont know what sagging is, drive around your local marinas and look for 1956 50' Mathews. I promise there is at least one that has died this death.

Next call all of your friends over that have expressed a desire in helping you with this boat. Hit them all twice with a shovel in the face as hard as you can. The ones that wake up and still want to be friends are the ones that will actually help you.

Now find a least 3 lumber yards that will let you pick out specific pices of lumber. Open an account at all 3 and pray they dont go out of buisness, change owners, or become a condo.

Ok time to say goodby to your wife/girlfriend/dog and start the demo of the boat. Find and remove all systems. Electric, propulsion, fuel, waste. Throw all that away. Most all of it is useless. Now start remoing all rotten wood. You know any wood that is cracked or falls apart when touched.

Now look at the boat.

If over 50% of the hull remains you might just make it.

Get to this point without having homeland security showing up at your house because neighbors are complaining about the ARK your building while mumbling to yourself about floods/friends that cant caulk/and island dreams, and we can go over the rebuild procedure.

K9