Outboard engine choices

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by ark, Jul 15, 2003.

1. ark

ark New Member

Hi.

I recently bought a 26 foot Albin Express for which I need to acquire an ouboard engine. My requirements are:

- 4-5 HP
    - Alternator outlet (for charging 12V batteries.)
    - Long shaft

Any suggestions on which engine to choose would be greatly appreciated.

/Allan

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I think that the most important thing is to find an engine with a local dealer. When you need service or parts, a good dealer is invaluable. Also, small outboards usually charge five or six amps only.

3. Will Wheeler

Will Wheeler New Member

I've been tussling with the same subject for a 27' Tumlaren. Apparently it used a 4 hp long shaft at one time. I'm thinking of a 5 or 6 hp Honda for the quiet running, reliability, and good fuel economy. However, i'm concerned about the extra weight of a four stroke engine, since it may have to be removed from the mount while sailing. It should probably have a separate fuel tank, to reduce weight, and provide for greater range.

HP requirements will vary -- the Tumlaren, although 27 ft is actually quite a light displacement craft.

4. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

If you are worried about weight when removing underway, why not fabricate a VERY simple little crane to lift it to a height where you can swing it inboard? A simple bent pipe with a pulley at the end, like an old anchor crane, would do perfectly, and could be plonked into a deck fitting as needed. Cranes like that will typically weigh about 10 lbs max.
    Insert crane, clip line to engine, hoist engine, swing crane inboard until safe to remove engine, stow engine, remove crane, stow crane.
    Clean deck, no lost engines or crew ;-)

Steve

5. Will Wheeler

Will Wheeler New Member

Excellent idea, SailDesign. Like davits for a dinghy, except with one stanchion only? It'd need to be low enough for clearance under the boom, and it should be able to rotate to bring the engine on board. I recall blue water fishing gear that's similar.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

How about using the boom to bring the engne up?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.