Time/cost in a design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Carbo, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Carbo

Carbo New Member

Hello all, I need to find out a rough estimate in time or cost for a naval architect to design a typical bare bones 30' power cat open fish. I know this is a broad question with many many variables. But I need to know as close as possible what kind of hours are in a set of plans, or if any of you have recently had some plans drawn up for a similar boat, what the cost was. Thank you in advance, your answers are very much appreciated

2. JSL

JSL Senior Member

Try contacting an NA and ask for a rough price. But before you do, make sure you have a set of specs or sketch (at least) so he/she understands what you want. Even grabbing a similar one off the internet would be a start.

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

It will be necessary to define the specific uses and special requirements that create the NEED for a custom design.

A simple estimate of basic work is about 10% the cost of the finished vessel produced in a first class yard..

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Speaking of the price of the project, not of the construction plans, the cost will not exceed 3.5% of the total value of the ship, with a minimum price of 6000 euros.
    Given the current market situation, you can get even better prices.

5. dskira

dskira Previous Member

100 hours to 300 hours (aproximatly, lot of variables)

6. Carbo

Carbo New Member

Thanks and Local NA?

Thanks guys this gives me a good starting place. Do you have any recommendations for a NA in Florida? I have a list of them but no experience with any of them.

7. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Send a PM to Paul Ricelli, he is a member on the forum with the user name of PAR.
    He is very good and a real encyclopedia about naval architecture and boat building, been a naval architect and boat builder himself.

8. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Eric Sponberg is a naval architect in St Petersburg who also participates on this site.

9. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Powercat? We have them, about 35 cat designs launched, many of them in production.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.