Z axis design limitations for Seine

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by NAVDRAFT, Feb 14, 2018.

1. NAVDRAFT

NAVDRAFT New Member

Hello everybody,

Does any one know where can I find the navigational characteristics for the River Seine?

I'm interested to find out the air draft and deep draft limitations. I did find a map from 2012, but somehow I doubt about its precision taking into account that we are in 2018. On this map are specified the deep draft and other characteristics which might be suitable, but when it comes to air draft is expressed as "Min. height under bridges" and it does not make sens to me. I was expecting for a max allowed value.

Any help or advice is welcomed!

Regards
    ---
    English is not my native language, so excuse me for any typos.

2. Javiar

Javiar Junior Member

3. RAraujo

RAraujo Senior Member - Naval Architect

I believe the minimum height under bridges refers to the minimum distance from the underside of the bridge to the water level - thus it is, in fact, the maximum allowable air draft.

4. NAVDRAFT

NAVDRAFT New Member

Thanks to both of you for answers!
    What is your opinion about the maximum headroom, does this value include a clearance between the ship's top and the bridge itself or I should manage a clearance myself?

5. Javiar

Javiar Junior Member

I think the data they can give you is the minimum vertical distance between the surface of the water and the lowest part of the bridge in the navigable area. Nevertheless, the Seine is a river with notable variations in its flow and, therefore, in its level. You should stay informed of such incidents during your trip.

Regards

6. NAVDRAFT

NAVDRAFT New Member

Thank you Javiar for your answer. I'm actually designing a river cruise ship for Seine.

7. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

Dear Navdraft ,

You can have the data from this link and for the various legs of Seine basin : Basse Seine (including Paris), Haute Seine, Petite Seine (amont), Petite Seine (aval), Seine maritime + all the rivers and canals in relation.
    Translation tips :
    Air draft >>> Tirant d'air
    Deep draft >>> Tirant d'eau
    Length x Beam limitations >>> Gabarit (L x l)
    Number of locks >>> Nombre d'écluses
    Length in km >>> Distance en km
    Voies Navigables - Fluviacarte http://www.fluviacarte.com/fr/voies-navigables/region-bassin-de-la-seine-5/voie-basse-seine-84

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.