Heave Natural Frequency - AQWA

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by Matheus, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Matheus

Matheus New Member

Im new user in AQWA. To find out the natural frequency in heave do I use the RAO generated by the hydronamic response or hydrodynamic diffraction? If it is through hydrodinamic response, do I select irregular waves and do a frequency statistical analysis?
    Photo 1 is from the hydrodynamic diffraction. Why is the curve like this? The geometry is attached in photo 2 and at the end there is a joint of the hinged type allowing only rotation

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      18 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      9.8 KB
      Views:
  2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

First, don't use Hz, use omega (rads/sec), it will make everything easier.
    For response use the RAO's for response, and then handle it like any other spectral input problem. See Dynamics of Marine Vehicles by Bhattacharyya for a full walk through of the process.
    Why is the hydrodynamic diffraction curve like that? Think about it for a minute....what does the curve mean? What would hydrodynamic diffraction look like for omega = 0.0000007 (0.000046 Hz) or omega = 1273 (8 kHz)?

3. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that heaven would have a natural frequency.... oh wait. Now I see it. Hydrodynamics is so cool.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.