402ft Yacht Design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by cpappas198, Apr 16, 2013.

1. cpappas198

cpappas198 New Member

Hello, my name is Constantine. I am 14 years old and would like to share my work with you. I would appreciate some feedback/criticism. I want to be a naval engineer and have already sent my work to Webb Institute, one of the top naval engineering schools. I hope you like it! Feel free to message me.

Its 402ft long and her beam would be 60ft.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

To start with, the engine and machinery have to be close to the center of flotation, that is about the center of the hull. It will affect the layout of everything else.

1 person likes this.
  3. cpappas198

cpappas198 New Member

I will move it up to right behind the crew quarters.

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Hello Constantine
    Welcome to the forum.

I also wish you every success in your endeavour to be come a naval engineer...or in whatever form you wish.

To address you question. This can be broken down into 2 separate issues:

1) Styling
    2) Design

In 1) the styling, that is more of an industrial design aspect, in terms of does it look nice, is the shape eye catching etc etc.
    in 2) this is the technical part, where an understanding of naval architecture is required.

I wont delve into #1, as there are more opinions than you can shake a stick at!

But for #2, the first thing to address when "designing" is does it float, does it float upright. So in order to answer this question 2 further aspects must be done. The first is the hull shape. The hull shape will determine where the centre of buoyancy is located. It also leads into resistance and powering..but that is for another day. The second, is the weight estimate. You need to list down every item that is on board the boat and then locate that item from a reference point. This is usually the amidships, or centre of the waterline. The point here is, as noted by Gonzo, you need to make sure you can line the centre of gravity up with the centre of buoyancy. Sine if there is a difference, the hull shall trim until the 2 are in line.

However, you're now thinking...how do I know what is going into the boat to list them?...and that address the very first part when it comes to 'design'. When a naval architect designs, it is not simply...let my mind wander and see where it goes. We need something to 'aim' at. So we have what is called an SOR...a statement of requirements. This SOR is a list of what the design is meant to do.

So for yours, what is the maximum length/beam/draft (this helps define the hull shape), then what speed (this does too) and then were will it go (in the world) and in what sea conditions...(this also affects the hull shape) and then what will it carry...how many passengers or crew...or other things like a helipad etc. In other words a simple "shopping list". Once you have the SOR...you have something to 'aim at', for your design.

Then you can look at the hull shape and the weights. Once these 2 bit have been done, and you can satisfy the basics of the SOR with your weights and hull shape, you have completed the first but hardest part of design.

Good luck :)

5. cpappas198

cpappas198 New Member

Thanks for the feedback. Is furniture included in the SOR? It may be a stupid question but theres a lot of furature on a boat of that size.

6. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

That part can be as detailed or not, as you like. Simply noting furniture made of hardwood, or aluminium or honeycomb panels etc, is more than enough, in the SOR.

BUT, you must account for all of it (whatever it is made of and how many and where it is located) in the weight estimate. Just make a simple spreadsheet in excel. Which is divided into 8 groups:-

1 Structure
    2 Mechanical
    3 Electrics
    4 Communication & Control
    5 Auxiliary Systems
    6 Outfit
    7 Armament & Pyrotechnics
    8 Fluids in Systems

Good luck :)

7. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

That's how you know that the yacht was commissioned by Roman Abramovich. :D ;)

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

On yachts, there are usually interior designers to take care of furnishings, etc for the interior. It is a specialized part of the job that includes art experts and a whole group of other specialties.

9. cpappas198

cpappas198 New Member

I wish it was commissioned by Roman Abramovich!

10. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

We all do... :eek: ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.