Offer: true go anywhere Trawler to build "side by side"

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by apex1, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apex1

apex1 Guest

This is a "high end" engine John! In fact it is nearly 3 meter high!
    No, there will be no further complication added to a system choosen for its simplicity and reliability.
    As mentioned, a camera is mandatory and sensible but nothing else.
    You can hear when a ten tonnes system runs wrong, be sure. And the common setup of temp sensors tell you much too.
    And although that is a UMS it does not mean the engineroom is not inspected regularely (hourly at sea).
    All of you, who have ever been out at sea for long cruises under motor will confirm that one develops a sense for the ships noise in every sea condition. And you are immediately alerted when that pattern changes, even at sleep.
    A bit aside:
    I once had a couple of children as summer holiday guests aboard a old steamer. Their accommodation was below the foredeck, but the only head was amidships in the superstructure on the maindeck. My cabin was abaft the wheelhouse one deck above the main deck structure. There was a lot of noise when the boat was bumping against the pier fenders, when the passing ships made swell, the whining props, ropes under stress, and so on. When one of the children went to the loo at night I stood upright in my bed! I did hear the bare feet on the wooden deck, a noise which did not fit the pattern.
    Richard

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Richard

I know what you mean... When on sea trials, going into the engine room, aft/jet void and even when in the saloon or up in the wheelhouse,....the vibrations felt, when 'wrong', are instantly recognisable as being 'wrong' and something is not right.

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Some update on the engines:
    these pictures show the same engines as a refit on the MS Balmoral.....here
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Exhaust pipe! made at the yard
    [​IMG]

Cyl. Casting
    [​IMG]

Solid piece...
    [​IMG]

enjoy

4. wardd

wardd Senior Member

my concept of simplicity is is at the bottom its as simple as can be to get the job done

take modern warships as an example chuck full of electronics and computers without which its a bobbing drifting object

so if anyone comes up with an efective jamming device and has old fashioned optical fire control wins the battle.

im not against computers, i assemble my own to get what i want

so when you have the base then adding layers of complex systems that can be isolated, i have no problem with that, ie its ok to have electronic engine control as long as theres a manual backup that can be imediately put into use

with mechanics you can diagnose a problem with a flash lite ( torch for our less civilized brethren) and 2 eyeballs, one eyeball if thats all you have

1 person likes this.
  5. apex1

apex1 Guest

Whats a jamming device?

I agree that adding some gimmicks may be fun (and sensible too), but when you have followed the thread (and you did) you have noticed that I offer a 6 million boat at 2,4 million, maybe at the end it is a 7mio boat at 3mio. But there is not much space to play with toys at extra cost!?

Richard

6. wardd

wardd Senior Member

my main point was take care of the basics first

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

Oh, yes I do, be sure! You might see that when you are thinking about my choosen engine!?!

Still do´nt know what a jamming device is? Would you be so kind? Do´nt let me die dumb.

8. wardd

wardd Senior Member

something that would scramble all the electronics, such as a super directed emf pulse

not beyond possibility, it can be done on a small scale

put a calculator in a microwave and see if itll work after the smoke clears

9. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

And that, wardd, is part of the reason I find Richard's focus on simplicity and mechanical reliability so refreshing.... that directed EMF pulse that screws up every electronic device within a hundred metres? Yup, lightning is exactly that.

Given the choice between a flashlight and a digital interface for troubleshooting purposes, I will almost always pick the former....

10. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

That is right, thank you TAD! Here too:DIESELS

But (fortunately) not those old fashioned monsters like the ABC, Callesen or Grenaa. They last too long to be for sale!
    And I will use the boat quite extensive all year round, so a new one is the better choice anyway.

Regards
    Richard

12. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

1 person likes this.
  13. apex1

apex1 Guest

Yeah, shipbreakers, they have it all. You know the "Alang Bazar" ?

Fornaes is a Neighbour of "Grenaa Diesels" in Grenaa, Denmark. And I am in Germany today, maybe I can manage to go up there tomorrow, have a look.

Regards
    Richard

14. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

Apex, I might one day be as rich and smart as you if I become a successful boat builder. People pay a lot to have a 20 meter wooden boat custom built, and that way I could expand my company into a shipyard with the help of a loan. First thing I'm going to do when I have at least 10 million dollars, I am going to build a steamer of 66 meters in length, like the one in the picture. That will be my personal boat, and I am probably going to live on it. If you are still alive when I accomplish all of this, then me and you could team up. I build your ships, and you pay me.

Attached Files:

15. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Richard
    It's worth looking around the brokerage too, I have seen several out of survey vessels that were purchased for their machinery at give-away prices.
    Ex navy vessel tenders can be a good source of engines and other gear and their engines are often in very good condition . Even the stripped hull can often be sold or given away as use for a fish farm floating shed or something similar.

just a thought

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.