Offbeat Help request (Metalflake fiberglass)

Discussion in 'Materials' started by snaxg, Feb 1, 2008.

1. snaxg

snaxg New Member

I have a thirty year old dune buggy I am restoring.

Last night I noticed what I thought was a oil stain on the fender. Without thinking I gave it a spray with "purple" degreaser. I looked over a few minutes later and the spray appeared to be staining the gelcoat.

I went into panic mode and started cleaning with alcohol and then a variety of cleaner waxes and even nano wax. I got it to the point that I could barely notice it at the end of last night.

I went out this morning and took a bit of a better look at it and I may have just covered it up. It looks nowhere as bad as it did but is still slightly noticeable.

The stain looks like it dulled the clear. It is about 4"x4" in a dripping pattern.

What should be my next steps to attempt to fix this? I don't want to "over do it".

Any help would be appreciated.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.