is it possible to build a boat designed for plywood lapstrake/carvel?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jumpinjackflash, Jul 17, 2014.

1. jumpinjackflash

jumpinjackflash Junior Member

so I'm thinking of going with the fafnir design, it's the one I keep coming back to and comparing all other small boat designs to.

plywood can be costly but there's an abundance of cheap white pine lumber around here

so can you build a design meant for plywood sheets in a more traditional manner?

I think fafnir would look incredibly beautiful lapstrake:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

What are your traditional lapstrake (clinker) boats built from? There are reasons why they used the timbers chosen. You will also find your answer, as to what you should be using, or similar substitutes.

I will refrain from commenting on the design, as for me, and this is my personal take so do not be offended, it is simply too retro and has too many flaws. The rowing tender is fine for that type, though.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You would have to redesign the whole structure.

4. jumpinjackflash

jumpinjackflash Junior Member

oh, what about jay benford's happy? that's my other favourite. the plans are available in a book, and the original was coldmolded

I've seen a few plans for boats that can be built both cold molded and planked

5. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Of course it can be done, whether it's a good idea is another question. How many traditional lapstrake boats have you built? Why not write to the designer and ask him what he thinks?

Redesign the whole structure? It's a 13' boat.....planking 5/8", frames 3/4" by 1", spaced 6", copper nails and roves. I would make the garboard plank of plywood and glue it to the apron, to take the twisting of that full keel.