# of laminations?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Broknangel, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Broknangel

Broknangel New Member

Ok new to building boat...as in havn't yet but my little OCD is kicked into overdrive on this project. I'm trying to figure out how many laminations I should have on the boat I'm planning. It's a 3 point (Cat front/Rear V) 20' for seating 2-4. I havn't decided you use the extra space I have to add a couple of jump seats for skiers yet or not.

Anyway back to the question. I'm going to be using a jet drive for propulsion and according to the computers calculations I should be able to hit mid 50's to low 60's all out. Of course I have no clue about the actual top speed atm, but we'll see. Ack there I go again. Well my question is how many laminations should I use?

Currently planned for Chopped/45+-/Chopped/90-0 Roving/Kevlar (hull bottom - forward pontoons and V Keel line) Carbon reinforcement on bridge between pontoons. Epoxy vacuum bagged and peel-ply'd.

I've seen arguments for and against using a core on hulls, so I'm not sure about using one on this. So I'm figuring reenforced stringers/bracing needs to be put in place. Am I way off? I have several books on working with fiberglass, but none recommends a certain number of laminations.

Please help

*Here's a concept drawing of my boat that I want to build. Working on the computer model right now (about 60% done)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  2. Broknangel

Broknangel New Member

Btw
    I already corrected the height of the pontoons. The height shown would be a great way to launch an aircraft once it got to speed, but on a this design it would make it flip I think =P

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.