odd totally flat "Feather Raft" for standup fishing.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Squidly-Diddly, Jan 7, 2014.

1. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

No there aren't - and a raft is always slower and more difficult to maneuver, and much wider to sneak in amongst rocks and logs on a lake or river.

The only advantage I can see is its stability - which can be important in some locations.

2. Coalface173

Coalface173 Junior Member

I agree it is slower (I use a trolling motor when I need it). However, I don't find it difficult to maneuver. Can we also agree that it only needs a vary shallow amout of water to operate? I navigate some rivers that are only inches deep between large pools. I'd also bet I could get a small outboard on one of my rafts with a transom.

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Any lightweight canadian canoe will float in the same or less water ( its longer displacement and flat bottom allow this ), will be able to travel by paddle or small motor 10 times further than the raft in the same time with its more efficient hull, will steer easily between narrower obstacles, be easier to handle from water to trailer, will carry more gear with a lot more comfort and handle white water or other boat wakes much better.

The only thing the raft has got going for it may be initial cost, and the ability to stand on the edge without flipping ( which an outrigger on a canoe would also permit).

If this is the crowning achievement of your engineering skills - congratulations, but compared to several other types of proven boats, I am hard pressed to find any reason for owning one.

4. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

Raft itself stable configuration. Upright occupants and untethered cargo are not stable compared to other designs, especially in unprotected/moving/windy waters.
    Sorry, just my humble experience.

Porta

5. Kailani

Kailani Senior Member

The time is right for this with the standup paddleboard phenonomen.

http://feather-raft.com/about.html says this raft weights 50-60 lbs.

Outrigger canoes are built extremely light, 20 or 30 lbs lighter for the smallest. That's mostly sit down though and not something to take dogs on or stretch out the legs by walking around.

The raft would be good for guys and rich kids that wanted to mess about on calm ponds. When I was young we built swim rafts with a wood deck around blocks of foam. All the cracks got slimy over a summer and the foam too. These appear to be totally sealed and are definitely a step up from what we played on, and much lighter.

6. Coalface173

Each raft has a safety line which allows you to tether your choice of seat and gear to the raft. What I had in mind when designing this raft was bowfishing from a standing position or hunting from a steady seated position, fishing is simply an added benefit. Unprotected, moving, windy waters also don't provide the best bowfishing or hunting environments.

7. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

I see where you're coming from with your application.

I saw the tether for seats, but is there a container for tethering that works for small equipment like bows, shotguns, etc.- would be helpful to not have to hold continuously or place on floor. A popup leaning/hand rail might be useful for improving steadiness when aiming and cutting standing fatigue.

Hope this helps.

Porta

PS. Do paddleboards depend on the long paddle for rider stability? Unless there is a learning curve like in surfing, to develop the balance aspect?

8. Coalface173

I carry my shotgun in a plastic hard case and the case can be tethered to the safety line or to the rope cleats. I do however simply place my bow on the deck without any tethering. If I were worried about loosing the bow I could simply latch a carabiner around the safety line and the bow string. Everything you are saying does help: thank you for your comments. I custom build the rafts too based on individual needs. If a pop-up hand rail/aiming stabilizer were needed I'm confident that I could design and implement it. There is a small learning cure as far as balance no matter how stable the craft. Walking on a small watercraft is never quite the same as walking on land. I just uploaded a video of my friend getting on his raft for the 2nd time. You can see it's pretty easy to get your balance. http://youtu.be/TubtrDSJwOs

First time on raft:
    http://youtu.be/CP0CL23yNso

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.