Ocean News

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by ImaginaryNumber, Oct 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myark

myark Senior Member

Saving the world, one drop at a time. S4H2O raises awareness about marine plastics and and creates swimwear from recycled polyester

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...stic-into-polyester-for-swimwear?ref=category

About this project

S4H2O (Swimmers for Water) was founded with a vision of changing the world. Our mission is to inspire and empower aquatic athletes to make a difference is their communities and across their planet. We hope to instigate change by raising awareness of the crisis facing our planet’s most valuable resource, its water, and transform the general population’s view on water into one that is mindful and appreciative. Additionally, our intent is to fully fund a clean oceans non-profit program by the end of 2017. This non-profit will source plastic from the 5 oceanic gyres to re-use and recycle it.

S4H2O is environmentally responsible. We promote awareness of the plight of our oceans and encourage athletes to reduce, reuse, and recycle. We sell competitive swimwear made from 50% recycled material (with a future goal of creating quality 100% recycled suits). Our tags are plastic free. Our shipping and packaging materials are biodegradable and recyclable. S4H2O also has plans to begin a suit drive where swimmers send us their used and worn out swimwear and for it to be "up-cycled" into new material. Help us spread the word and challenge the swimmers, divers, surfers, and H2O enthusiasts alike to make a difference by reducing their plastic use and support clean, healthy, and beautiful oceans. Join the plastic free mermaid society! Check us out online at s4h2o.com and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook for sales, specials, and events such as swim-a-thons and beach clean-ups.

This project is an independent start-up. It is funded out of the pocket of a swim coach who hopes to empower and engage her swimmers.

2. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

That's the sort of individual private initiative I approve of. Good post!

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Johnson Island high-altitude tests of 1962 ?

4. Yobarnacle

http://antinukenz.weebly.com/threat-of-the-cold-war.html

" two of the women interviewed remembered seeing the glow cloud of a US nuclear test conducted at Johnson Island, near Hawaii, from New Zealand shores"

Christmas Island test 1962 is much closer than Johnston Island.
    Must have been VERY high altitude test at Johnston Is. to be seen from New Zealand!

The sun is 93,000,000 miles altitude. Only on the equator do you regularly see the sunrise over a great circle segment of the earth.
    (In the arctic circle summer, the sun's up 24 hours a day, ie: small circles of the earth. Other latitudes see the sun over a great circle a few days each year.)

In equatorial regions, dawn, the sun's glow in the clouds, only precedes meridian transit about a maximum of 7 hours.
    The sun moves 15 degrees across the sky, at ground speed of 900 knots, each hour.
    Times 7 hours=6100 nm is the farthest you can see the morning sun lighting clouds, about an hour before sunrise.
    Hamilton, NZ is 3202 nm from Christmas Island, and the burst would have to been at about 30,000 feet, for cirrus clouds at their maximum height of 20,000 feet to glow so they could be seen from Hamilton.
    All within range, barely, of possibility!
    Johnston Atoll burst seen from New Zealand? Looking over a great circle segment, because New Zealand can't tilt toward Hawaii like the earth tilts toward the sun. Possible? NEW ZEALAND 38 degrees south and Johnston island 72 degress north latitude. A difference of 110 degrees of latitude, or 6600 nm away.
    500 miles farther than you can see dawn.
    Possible? Hmmm, if the fireball was at least 500 miles diameter, maybe.
    Skeptical.

WOOPS!
    The Johnston Island at 72 degrees N, isn't the correct island.
    Johnston Atoll at 16 degrees N is.

"On July 9, 1962, at 09:00:09 Coordinated Universal Time (July 8, Honolulu time, at nine seconds after 11 p.m.), the Starfish Prime test was successfully detonated at an altitude of 400 kilometres (250 mi)"

Johnston atoll is only about 60 nm farther away from Hamilton, than Christmas island.

At a detonation altitude of 250 miles up, I'm sure the clouds to the north of New Zealand glowed in 1962.

Abject apologies to the ladies in above article, for doubting them!

Attached Files:

5. Jamie Kennedy

Jamie Kennedy Senior Member

We could run some more tests to sort this out.

6. Yobarnacle

Over New Brunswick?
    Nope! Canada is the USA's staunchest ally!
    We don't mistreat best friends. :D
    Just the fickle friends that backstab you, the minute your money is gone!

7. Jamie Kennedy

Jamie Kennedy Senior Member

Damn! Looks like I might have to shovel the driveway after all.

8. Yobarnacle

Some global warming drifted over your driveway?

9. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

The Nuclear glow that I saw (and a small number of other people) was about as big as a small finger nail at arms length in clouds and horizon ( about forty miles) over land.
    Hamilton New Zealand is about 120 feet above sea level.
    It was no big deal at the time with all the tests taking place about then.
    US citizen have had their atmosphere sprayed with out their knowledge to see how an atmospheric germ warfare attack would play out.
    There has been a lot of UN-official test carried out all over the world.
    I doubt if such things would get the go- ahead if you asked permission any way.

10. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

Strongest Cyclone Ever Recorded in Southern Hemisphere Makes Landfall | Atlas Obscura

11. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

How climate change will affect western groundwater | PHYS.ORG

12. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Cyclone Mahina, which struck NE Australia in 1899, had a central pressure of of an incredibly low 880 millibars, Cyclone Winston on the weekend was 915 millibars, so I'm not sure how it was deemed to be the "strongest ever". Every 5 years now, we seem to get floods that are declared a "once in 100 year event". ;)

13. Yobarnacle

It's all "HYPE' for the AGW propaganda mill.

14. Yobarnacle

Never doubted you Mr. Kane.
    I enjoyed the mathematical puzzle of deducing which test might be that you saw.
    Of all the math's I studied and later forgot most of what I'd learned, spherical trigonometry is my favorite and the one math I retain fluency in.
    It is so practical for things like navigation! :D

15. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

I have never yet met any person even good at Maths, yobaarnacle you are very lucky or very studious.
    I would love to have such skills, I have to manage without.