Ocean News

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by ImaginaryNumber, Oct 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A II

A II no senior member → youtu.be/oNjQXmoxiQ8 → I wish

Since photos were invented they were shopped, first by hand, later by computer.

If for example uncle Joe later didn't like you, you were shopped out and chopped off, like eg. as happened in 1938 to Nikolai Yezhov.

Joseph Stalin boat Moscow Canal photoshop Nikolai Yezhov out.jpg

Similar easy to photoshop a motor propelled boat into a 1900 picture, either in 1900 itself, or in 2003 for a more dramatic comparison effect.

2. A II

Rubbing on to other people is comforting and eases the mind, so we should do it more and all together . . ;)

3. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

An Angel you're not! :eek:

4. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Rub me softly, rub me down, rub me smooth. Rub-a-dub-dub in a tub, Rub me anyway you choose!
    The only way you can rub me wrong? Is to rub me out!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  5. ImaginaryNumber

South pole warming three times faster than rest of the world, our research shows

Over the past 30 years, the south pole has been one of the fastest-changing places on Earth, warming more than three times more rapidly than the rest of the world.

My colleagues and I argue these warming trends are unlikely the result of natural climate variability alone. The effects of human-made climate change appear to have worked in tandem with the significant influence natural variability in the tropics has on Antarctica’s climate. Together they make the south pole warming one of the strongest warming trends on Earth.

The study was published in NATURE.

6. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Your new strategy? Cringy, inane chatter?

7. Yobarnacle

it's code for Operation "Rub Out".
    The targets have code names. Yours is a-dub-dub. Doesn't hurt for you to know at this late date.
    The agents are positioned outside your place already!
    Happy Independence day! Eat, drink, and be merry! Later....well, bye

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  8. ImaginaryNumber

Warming temperatures threaten hundreds of fish species the world relies on, study finds

According to a study published in the journal Science, as the planet's oceans and rivers warm, commercially important species such as Atlantic cod, Alaska pollock and sockeye salmon, and sport fishing favorites like swordfish, barracuda and brown trout could be at serious reproductive risk by the end of the century.

Past studies of fish sensitivity to changing water temperatures have focused mostly on adult fish. This study found that fish embryos and spawners -- female and male fish that are preparing to produce eggs and sperm -- are far more vulnerable to abnormally warm water temperatures than adults and larvae.

9. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

I hate to participate in a AGW thread, but those two photos posted by A II are photoshopped. Look at the cloud patterns and the ice along the peaks of the exposed rock
    They are exactly the same in both pictures. A whole glacier melts away, but the ice in the crags is still there?
    No, the glacier was superimposed on an antique filter of a modern picture and the guy in the skiff was added in.

It is unfortunate that the whole AGW political fight is getting in the way of people who are really trying to say, behave well and treat the world like we all live in it together. Waste and uncontrolled consumerism may or may not be harming our world, but that's not really the point. The point is that it is just decent Humanism to be good custodians of our world.

Politically, there are those who resent the disregard of our fellow man by those positioned to make giant profits and there are those who resent others trying to tell them how to live, work and play and limit their "economic freedom" when they have had nearly free reign for so long.

The pawns in this game are the faithful on either side of the issue. I don't have any direct experience with climate change. I'm not out there measuring the polar icecaps or calculating Earth's average temperatures over time. I'm not measuring the Ph of rain or traveling to the stratosphere to see what composes it. I, like everyone else in the World, have to read the reports of individuals and organizations who all start with a hypothesis to prove. I have to look at the rhetoric and judge it's consistency and logic and have faith that the premises upon which it is based is correct.

I know that fishing on the Gulf coast of Florida is nearly dead compared to what it was when my father first started headboat fishing in the 1960s. I also know that the sponge industry of that coast WAS dead but has since returned.

I live, currently in Northern New Hampshire where the weather has been so up and down since I moved here in the late 70s that I can't tell if there is a trend one way or another. I'm inclined to think it is impossible for a technologically advanced organism with the massive presence on Earth, such as we Humans have, and not have an effect on our environment. That's what we do, we manipulate our environment for our own purposes without a complete knowledge of either our environment or the repercussions.

Civilization has been plagued by doomsday profits since long before indoor plumbing and maybe even before the wheel was invented. I try to look to my own behavior and not be too concerned about limiting the freedom of others.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  10. A II

I believe we're each other's Angels, we only have to learn to practice it, and don't believe in mystical bollocks#2, hence I once only was one by name, although the kinda ‘‘real’’ ones also seem to rub people, the mystical bollocks say . . .

11. A II

I only focused on the boat, and didn't even focus on the ice shown on the peaks and the clouds around it, but indeed they're photoshopped the same in both pictures.

[​IMG]

It's like Dejay said in post #3315 . . . .
    If such (by the person who originally made it) deliberately lies happen again, I think I'll propose IN and Sam and Yob to be banned from this thread.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  12. ImaginaryNumber

Can't say I've ever been sensitive enough to notice my guardian angel giving me a massage. In this era of economic collapse I suspect a lot of people would prefer their angel dispense with the rubs and instead hand out a few thousand dollars/euros. But I guess angels specialize in intangible benefits rather than tangible benefits. Maybe that's why so many of us are skeptics.

13. ImaginaryNumber

The snow in the crags is seasonal snow, not glacier ice. You would expect it to be roughly the same, year to year. But if you look closely you can see a number of subtle differences.

For your evaluation to be self-consistent you would need to argue that the following photos, compiled by the same photographer, have also been photo shopped. Really????

Glacier Comparison on Svalbard, Climate Change | Christian Åslund Photography http://www.christian.se/global-warming-retreating-glaciers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Yobarnacle

Thanks for your comments -Will (Dragonfly)

Nobody suggested the ice cliffs in one picture missing in the mate were photo shopped. The claim is at least one of the boats were.
    Offering other ice pictures from same photog as evidence, is no evidence IN, and is a strawman. Now, if the same two boats showed up in your new offerings? Well then....

15. ImaginaryNumber

In the past I've come to expect more cogent arguments from you. I'm afraid that when you lost your old screen name you may have lost a lot more! :(

Bring back Angeliqué. A II is so blasé.