Ocean News

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by ImaginaryNumber, Oct 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Looks like inboard powered, since he's steering with a tiller. The double ended form seen in picture, is called a whale boat in the US Navy. A motor whaleboat, when inboard powered.

2. A II

A II no senior member → youtu.be/oNjQXmoxiQ8 → I wish

Thanks Yob, didn't know there were inboard combustion engine powered whale boat versions in 1900.

3. Yobarnacle

The first successful Diesel engine ran in 1897, so probably not diesel.
    There were many experiments with gas engines in the 19th century, but the first practical gas-fuelled internal combustion engine was built by the Belgian engineer Étienne Lenoir in 1860
    Other possibility would be steam, but no stack or African Queen type boiler is visible, so rule out steam.
    Dolphins in harness?

4. A II

As I don't see an engine box in the boat, my guess is the latter !

5. Yobarnacle

Would you guess, the pictured boat is about a twenty footer? thirty footer.jpg

I believe feet were common 1900, as were grave robbers.

6. A II

That must be it, I've also heard there fell two feet of snow . . .

two feet of snow.jpg

7. Yobarnacle

LOL

8. A II

I do think the background of the 1900 picture could be for real at that time, and the 2003 contemporary picture is for real as a whole. But don't think that 1900 motor boat and the guy with the hat in the picture is for real there at that time. It looks to me like it's composed for a dramatic comparison effect with a contemporary picture of the place. Besides the propulsion and engine questions, the hat guy and his posture and his clothing don't look very 1900 arctic to me, and remind me of pictures of Commodore Ralph Munroe in his Egret 28' double-ended sharpie lifeboat in Florida around 1889.

Ralph Munroe Egret 28 ft double-ended sharpie lifeboat Florida around 1889 port view sailing.jpg - Ralph Munroe Egret 28 ft double-ended sharpie lifeboat Florida around 1889 stern view sailing.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  9. A II

‘‘ Boaters (hats) were popular (late 19th century and early 20th century) as summer headgear, especially for boating or sailing, hence the name. ’’

[​IMG]

10. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

Maybe that's why they've not replaced safe low-voltage batteries. The high-voltage batteries used in electric cars can certainly fry your eggs if you're not extremely careful.

11. ImaginaryNumber

Wow! Yob's profound skepticism is starting to rub off on you. Not a good sign. Do you think they had PhotoShop back in 1900? Maybe you'll feel better after a restful weekend. ;)

12. ImaginaryNumber

Climate Change is Pushing Giant Ocean Currents Poleward

The world's major wind-driven ocean currents are moving toward the poles at a rate of about a mile every two years, potentially depriving important coastal fishing waters of important nutrients and raising the risk of sea level rise, extreme storms and heatwaves for some adjacent land areas.

The poleward shift is bad news for the East Coast of the U.S., because it makes sea level rise even worse, the researchers said. At about 40 degrees latitude north and south, where the effects of the shifting currents are most evident, sea level rise is already 8 to 12 inches more than in other regions, said lead author Hu Yang, a climate researcher with AWI. On the West Coast, salmon are being pushed out of traditional fishing waters. In densely populated coastal Asia, the changes could unleash more intense rainstorms, and the shift also makes heat waves more likely in subtropical areas.

The shift was identified in a new study published in the journal Geophysical Research Letters.

13. ImaginaryNumber

Sea ice thickness | Wikipedia
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

NASA’s ICESat-2 Measures Arctic Ocean’s Sea Ice Thickness, Snow Cover
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Getting beneath the ice | National Snow & Ice Data Center

14. Yobarnacle

From the same site Getting beneath the ice | National Snow and Ice Data Center https://nsidc.org/cryosphere/icelights/2011/08/getting-beneath-ice
    "Together, all these methods provide convincing evidence that as Arctic sea ice has declined in extent, the ice has also become thinner and younger. Stroeve said, “Thickness data collected using various methods indicate the average thickness of sea ice in the Arctic Basin has declined from more than 3 meters (10 feet) in winter to less than 2.5 meters (8 feet) in winter.” As researchers come up with better ways to evaluate ice thickness, they will be better able to say how the actual volume of Arctic sea ice is changing with the decreasing ice extent. Schweiger said. “Changes in ice volume tell us how much ice has grown or melted and this is directly connected to the amount of energy involved in the growth or melt of ice.”

IN said "What is more useful to watch than sea ice extent is sea ice volume -- roughly ice extent * ice thickness."
    And a little out of context cherry picking, I can't resist. IN said "Wow! Yob's profound!" Thanx!

I say, accurate data, from photos of ice extent are believable.
    Thickness of ice from two different satelite systems that don't agree on the data, along with a few sub reports and drill tests, washed through a sort-it-out computer model, that can only indicate data, deserves a lot less confidence.

Ice is never a uniform thickness. I have not been to the poles, but I worked on the Great Lakes for eleven years. Hold a First Class Pilots License for the Great Lakes. Experienced a lot of ice navigation.

Ice cracks, from wind pressure and river or current born ice forcing itself into the ice field. When the cracked ice is forced to subside beneath the neighbor patch, you get windrowed ice. It can pile up very thick.

16376414770_2d162b858a_o-700x464.jpg
    Here's What The Great Lakes Look Like After Vacationers Are Long Gone https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/usa/great-lakes-in-winter/

In 1976, the port cities on the Great Lakes, appealed to the federal government. If you can put a man on the moon ( a recent 1969 event) why can't you keep our economic navigation season open all year?

The feds tried. The Coast Guard tried. The ice breaking tugs hired, tried. The shipping companies tried. The crews tried. I was there, part of the experiment..

https://www.gao.gov/assets/120/116100.pdf

The Coast Guard moved two arctic class, Wind class ice breakers into the Great Lakes. West Wind, and North Wind I think.

Just off Cleveland, I watched one of the Wind breakers, skid completely up on top of the ice. It's Coast Guard commanding officer, was astounded. Claimed he had broken thicker ice in the Arctic!! An error. This was windrowed ice, packed solid all the way to the shallow bottom. It was an ice reef fifty feet thick and grounded, with no place to move Watched it with my own eyes, heard the radio traffic with my own ears.

It was the worst winter in decades. The only trip the ice breaker chaperoned convoy made, required over a month to complete, but normally, only four days in non-ice conditions. Not economical, and in addition, there was considerable ice damage to the ships. Hasn't been retried.

15. Yobarnacle

Sometime nature is bipolar. black and white. there is almost always a loser!
    https://www.botlibre.com/avatars/a34303623.jpg
    [​IMG] van.jpeg

Wish it was an earth globe the seal balanced. Be a better logo! Maybe I can buy back my old van and get decals for it?