Ocean News

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by ImaginaryNumber, Oct 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

Most of your rant appears to have come directly from your kiester. Fortunately, I'm wearing my full COVID protection suit. ;)

I didn't say I "wouldn't choose February to show minimum ice." I said that the maximum winter ice extent is a p00r predictor of summer's minimum ice extent. And I proved it by showing that the record year for minimum ice extent (2012) had a rather high winter maximum ice extent. This should not be a difficult concept to understand for anyone who has mastered kindergarten skills.
    Loss of summer ice has both direct effects and indirect effects. Some that I can think of include:

Polar bears get most of their energy needs from eating seals, caught from sea ice. They eat very little during the summer when the are confined to shore and can't reach the sea ice. The longer they can't access winter sea ice, the harder it is for them during their summer "fast".

Walrus have similar problems, in that a lack of sea ice confines their feeding grounds (clams on the ocean floor) to near shores. When they can haul out on sea ice they have access to a much larger feeding area.

Sea ice is white and reflects sunlight. Open water is dark and absorbs sunlight. More open water for a longer period of time means more heat absorbed from the sun. Though, admittedly, at high latitudes that isn't as significant as at lower latitudes.

Any amount of ice acts as a barrier to energy exchange between air and water. No ice, no barrier.

Russia is now shipping petroleum products (oh, the irony) via ice-breaker tankers from Siberia to Asia via the Northern Sea Route (the Northeast Passage) six months out of the year. Other cargo companies are itching to start using the Northwest Passage ASAP.

Russian, US and Canadian oil companies are looking with increasing lust at Arctic ocean oil deposits. Thick sea ice is the main impediment.

Increased commercial use of the NE or NW Passages means increased chances of accidents and oils spills. Because that area is so remote and so cold, clean up efforts will be much more difficult. And any damage done will be more long lasting in a very fragile environment.

2. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

All good comments. except the keister one.You have a point about the polar bears. Don't worry about your point. Wear a hat, nobody will notice.

You neglected to comment on the appropriateness of your choosing model "data " as preferred over observed empirical data. They can't be of equivalent quality, aren't even nearly at the same level of confidence. and for models to be considered superior to real data is insane, living in fantasy-land.

Speaking of keisters, apparently you are as physically contortionist as your science, to enable you putting your head in up yours. Expect it's warm for you, but is it your flushed red embarrassed face driving the warming or your zeal for your AGW ministry? Ah! Exhaled CO2! Are you certain you don't find any methane up there? Don't inhale the methane. You might pass out. A tipping point, a hat can't hide. Possibly an extinction event for you!

Hey! I think I have an explanation, for our different POVs regarding AGW!
    I got the big world picture. You got tunnel vision! You are looking inwards. I look outside the box, you want me in.

I hesitate to ask. Do you have a consensus in there? Do others also have their heads up your...nah, can't even imagine it. Don't want to!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  3. Dejay

Dejay Senior Newbie

This is such a weird article. He says 6th extinction event isn't caused by humans, but doesn't say it's not happening or gives arguments as to why the scientific studies would be wrong on this.

He then says that "Climate change is happening. It’s just not the end of the world. " but instead of arguing for this central premise he pushes peripheral arguments as to why certain things in the mainstream media are presented wrong. He gives no arguments how the actual science on climate change is wrong. He does not say how the world with +4°C we're heading towards would be "fine" and nothing to be alarmed about.

He says it's wrong for children to be scared and maybe that is right, it should be the burden of adults not children. Unfortunately the adults have their heads in their kiesters. But he makes no argument that there is no reason to be alarmed. It's simply a logical fallacy to use this appeal to emotion ("Think of the children!") to make being alarmed about climate change seem wrong. But being alarmed or not, that's is a question of facts and science. Protecting children from the truth is a luxury we don't have.

All of this starting with and peppered with his "credentials" as an environmentalist to show how environmentalist he is in an appeal to authority.

He then throws around a lot of innuendo and vague accusations about ideology ("anti-humanist beliefs", "Malthusianism") and accuses the scientists working on the IPCC of "politicization of science.".

He even makes the argument that "social media is allowing for a wider range of new and independent voices to outcompete alarmist environmental journalists". What kind of madness about a "truth competition" and anti-intellectualism is this? The majority opinion is worth more than what the scientific process tells us? The voices on social media are to be trusted despite all the evidence for "billion dollar disinformation campaigns"?

It's brilliant propaganda but he doesn't actually argue for his central premise and just throws out a bunch of logical fallacies like appeal to emotion, special pleading, composition/division and ad hominem and a lot of things entirely unrelated to the argument.

"It's so horrible lets close our eyes" is a very good propaganda tactic because people have a natural tendency to do that. He's giving them permission. And for that he of course has to avoid talking about the actual consequences.

I agree that we should get more nuclear power and that there are much hysterics about nuclear energy. And I wouldn't be surprised that some anti-nuclear campaigns were funded by fossil fuel interests.

4. Yobarnacle

Great! We found a sliver of common ground. Let's go nuclear.
    i dream of the day tiny cigarette pack sized nuclear (fusion maybe) power cells can power our yachts! At a reasonable affordable price!

Currently, I'm playing with, experimenting with, home made all carbon super capacitors.
    I use copper clad carbon washing rods intended for unwelding, as center cathodes in PVC electrical conduit tubes. The anode paste is my own powdered carbon and secret ingredients mixture. They charge up quickly. Dangerously.

Still working on series and parallel multiple capacitor cells for a power pack. trying not to electrocute myself in the process!

Okay, i'll spill my secret mix info.
    it's a mixture of carbon and manganese dioxide salvaged from dead C and D flahlight batteries, but I added 70% more powdered carbon. The membrane separating the two carbons, is a thin layer of epoxy, the washing rod was dipped in and drip dried..
    A thin springy aluminum sheet is rolled to slide into the PVC conduit as a terminal connector to the powdered carbon filler. The carbon rod is the other terminal. If you make these, wear thick rubber gloves and eye protection when handling charged capacitors.

A construction hint. Center drill a cap and cement it on. Insert the washing rod and secure with sealant or hot glue gun. Invert tube and fill tube and around center rod, from open bottom. When full of powdered carbon, cement on bottom cap. Charge with a charging sourse. Be careful.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  5. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

6. Yobarnacle

So?

7. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

8. A II

A II no senior member → youtu.be/oNjQXmoxiQ8 → I wish

Since it was reenacted with a modern boat on the same spot it must be known where it is, so where is it and what mountain peaks do we see there ?

What are the means of propulsion of the 1917 boat and what kind of boat is it ?

9. ImaginaryNumber

Svalbard

Do These Photographs Show the Same Spot in the Arctic 100 Years Apart? https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/arctic-century-photos/

Glacier Comparison on Svalbard, Climate Change | Christian Åslund Photography http://www.christian.se/global-warming-retreating-glaciers

10. ImaginaryNumber

I understand that some have proposed replacing car batteries with large capacitors. Guess it didn't work out.

Be safe, live long!

11. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

12. Yobarnacle

They work just fine as car starters. Expensive to buy though.

Mine are DIY,, many times larger, much more potent.
    Intent is to replace batteries used for house power aboard.
    I see live aboard boaters replacing bank of batteries every year.
    Batteries wear out, because they work by chemical reaction.
    Capacitors never wear out. the ions are stacked in the capacitor without changing anything except the charge.
    An old wafer capacitor the size of your thumbnail can knock you to your knees.
    Imagine a capacitor half the size of a baseball bat. Now imagine a cluster of them! Lethal!

13. Yobarnacle

I like the picture with the welcoming beach much better than the foreboding ice cliff of a century ago!

14. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

15. A II

A II no senior member → youtu.be/oNjQXmoxiQ8 → I wish

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020