Ocean News

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by ImaginaryNumber, Oct 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

What is meant by abrupt change? Geologic time scale? A single human lifetime scale? Or, rapidly over mere months? A single season in one year?
    Why wouldn't you want the ice you lament melting, to be relatively quickly restored?

2. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

Great Barrier Reef Is Bleaching Again. It’s Getting More Widespread.

“It’s the first time we’ve seen severely bleached reefs along the whole length of the reef, in particular, the coastal reefs,” said Professor Hughes, the director of the ARC Center of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies at James Cook University. “Those are bleached everywhere.”

Roughly 30 percent of the corals on the Great Barrier Reef died after the 2016 bleaching, which was the worst of five separate bleaching events since 1998. This year’s bleaching appears to rank second only to 2016. “We had a 14-year gap between 2002 and 2016, and now in five years we’ve had three severe events.”

3. Yobarnacle

An incredible story of reef recovery after coral bleaching at Palmyra Atoll | Coral Reef Ecology https://scripps.ucsd.edu/labs/coralreefecology/an-incredible-story-of-reef-recovery-after-coral-bleaching-at-palmyra-atoll/

In 2015, 90% of corals at Palmyra bleached, and an astounding 90% of those bleached corals fully recovered in the following years. It’s a truly inspirational story of reef resilience and highlights the potential for reef recovery after disturbance in protected areas.

Glory be, the earth heals itself? Marvelous!

4. Yobarnacle

5. Yobarnacle

While traditional fishing grounds like the Grand Banks, have been depleted by over fishing, the oceans are certainly not dead or dying. My own experiences, while using currents to increase speed on tows, have impressed upon me, that currents are rivers of life, and a continuous visible entertaining circus, minute after minute, on the surface. A self confessed pragmatic optimist, I'm encouraged by evidence the seas are rich in life! The documentary posted here, is excellent at portraying what I have observed in other oceans and seas.

I have run AHTS vessels, similar to the fisheries exploration vessel in the video. Supporting ROVs on deep dives to study things as varied as tube worms and clams that eat crude oil, their colonies clustered about crude oil seeps in the ocean floor, thousands of feet down. The scientists on board were always considerate enough, to install a color monitor on the bridge, so I too, could see what the cameras on the ROV transmitted to their stations.
    I thank them.

6. Yobarnacle

Judgement.jpg

posted on bridge of arctic icebreaker Jamal (name means end of the world)

7. Yobarnacle

A Sense of Danger. Animals are equipped with it. Maybe humans should learn it. At sea, we use every means possible to predict danger. Instruments as ancient as the barometer and wetbulb hygrometer, to more modern technology as doppler sonar, automatic plotting radars, and satellite transmitted weather forecasts and charts Alarmism in media isn't reliable or functional, but only panic inducing.

8. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

If only the 97% of actively publishing climate researchers who believe in AGW would get some barometers and things and quit relying on animal sacrifice, throwing bones and hallucinatory drugs for their predictions.

9. Yobarnacle

Nice to see you SAMSAM

Did you watch the video? The experiments with the dolphins was interesting. Fascinating actually!

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  10. Yobarnacle

11. Yobarnacle

The Census of Marine Life https://ocean.si.edu/ecosystems/census-marine-life/census-marine-life-overview

Very interesting that the marine census did NOT look at life in deep ocean currents, where life is extremely abundant. I doubt the marine biologists are ignorant that the currents teem with life. It's incredible to think they would deliberately ignore the currents in such a survey. Was it lack of sufficient funding cause for this omission? Test trawls throughout the different segments along even the most major ocean currents, would be a herculean task, covering hundreds of thousand of nautical miles! Understandable easier projects were selected.

The research accomplished is laudable and valuable. I salute the scientists involved.
    Where are the missing scientists responsible for the missing data? Data is merely raw data until it's interpreted. Interpreting incomplete data is prone to error!

The apparent intentional omission, non-collection of data, lack of study, missing data of life abundance in the currents, doesn't that cast doubts on any conclusions from an incomplete, lazy (avoiding the difficult), and coastal focused narrow census of marine life? Maybe such projects need directors with BIG PICTURE concepts. The oceans are certainly enormous enough to warrant viewing as the Big Picture!"

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  12. Dejay

Dejay Senior Newbie

@ImaginaryNumber I didn't read the whole thread so my apologies if this has been posted or discussed already (I can only read about climate change in small doses).

Are there any scientific predictions how climate change might affect living on a cruising vessel in the 20-30 years? I mean in practical terms, the ability to live on the water near the cost or on open sea or ocean. Something like total ecosystem collapse. Or jellyfish becoming dominant. Or toxic algea. Or the clathrate gun hypothesis. And assuming we won't change much or anything and keep following the RCP 8.5.

Not asking you write a big article for me :) But maybe you have some links to some article summing up potential effects on everyday life on the water. Thanks!

13. Yobarnacle

Hurricanes in America have become less frequent https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2017/09/11/hurricanes-in-america-have-become-less-frequent

20170916_woc654.png

Are Category 5 hurricanes becoming more frequent?

Hurricanes of such intensity occur once every three years in this region on average. Only in seven seasons—1932, 1933, 1961, 2005, 2007, 2017, and 2019—has more than one Category 5 hurricane formed.

If we warmup an additional two degrees Celsius, the following site predicts likely increases in strength and frequency.

Global Warming and Hurricanes – Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/global-warming-and-hurricanes/

with the following caveat:
    "In terms of detection and attribution, much less is known about hurricane/tropical cyclone activity changes, compared to global temperature."

If the average rises two more degrees Celsius? How likely over the next twenty thirty years is two degree rise?

Is the climate warming? Yes. Earth's average surface air temperature has increased by about 1 °C (1.8 °F) since 1900,
    with over half of the increase occurring since the mid-1970s [Figure 1a].
    1. Is the climate warming? | Royal Society https://royalsociety.org/topics-policy/projects/climate-change-evidence-causes/question-1/
    1970 was fifty years ago.

You specifically asked Imaginary Number. Hope you don't mind my answering.

14. Yobarnacle

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020

15. Yobarnacle