Ocean News

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by ImaginaryNumber, Oct 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

As is typical for the crackpot type of sources you choose to quote from, they (and you) left out some of the most important statements made in the original study.

CO2 and temperature decoupling at the million-year scale during the Cretaceous Greenhouse | Nature.com

So this study IS NOT challenging the idea that an abundance of CO2 is driving our current spike in temperatures, rather that CO2 may not be a primary driving force of climate over a million-year timescale.

Yob, this is why you are not a scientist. You don't understand science, and the only "facts" that you accept are those which support your preconceived ideas, while conveniently ignoring the abundance of data which does not support your ideas. In other words, the faulty logic process you regularly accuse others of, you yourself are guilty of.

2. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Co2 was all over the place in reference to temperatures, not connected in the past, but amazing they are now, because humans add a little bit extra CO2? Is that pixie dust magic C)O2 humans add?

I refuse to believe it. Just as I refuse to believe the 800 year and twelve hundred year delay,n temperature rising before a similar rise in CO2, in the ice core records,was some miraculous sinking of data in the ice.

Physics works today the same as in the past. We didn't recieve new laws of phisics from powers on high! You might be. LOL

3. Yobarnacle

I believe in freedom. Believe what you like , Imaginary number, and do what ever you like to reduce your personal output of CO2. Everybody else is equally free to believe in whatever and choose for them-self a lifestyle they prefer and can afford.. Nobody is allowed to force their views upon anyone else. If you preach AGW here, I'll refute it. Freedom for all..

4. Yobarnacle

My field is Naval science and I am highly credentialed and was very successful at the highest level in that field.
    I observe, I read, I judge what I read, and I'm demonstrably possessed of excellent judgement. Proof?
    In fifty years at sea, I never lost a vessel, nor a man. I was never injured, and none of my crews were ever seriously injured. Only minor scrapes, cuts, burns, but no broken bones or lost body parts. Good judgement harvested!

You say the article I posted didn't argue against CO2 being a prime mover in warming.
    Have you ever heard the advice, ignore everything prior to the "BUT"? However is a fancier way of saying but.

"Abstract
    CO2 is considered the main greenhouse gas involved in the current global warming and the primary driver of temperature throughout Earth’s history. However....."

5. Yobarnacle

The article continues a bit further along,
    " although CO2 may have been a main driver of temperature and primary production at kyr or smaller scales, it was a long-term consequence of the climate-biological system, being decoupled or even showing inverse trends with temperature, at Myr scales."

High temperature occurred first and later, CO2 increased, as a consequence, or result of the temperature, not a driver of temperature! Inverse trends means contrary to temperature rise, CO2 levels fell and when CO2 was high in concentration, temperatures fell. A contradiction of the theory CO2 drives temperature.

This is what the records show. A common tell, or a clue you are being lied to, is when someone tries to weave a tale for evidence to stand on its head and be argued in reverse. We see spin applied to evidence all the time in AGW arguments.

6. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

So how come you ignored the final phrase "at MYr scales"?

A person who ignores crucial information is known as an ignor***s, and, as such, doesn't exhibit "excellent judgment."

EDIT TO ADD:
    The use of the word "may" in this context means that the purpose of the author's study is not what may or may not happen at the smaller time scales of kyrs. In fact, they are specifically warning people, like Yob, to not take their studies out of context and apply their conclusions to what is happening now. But of course, Mr Blinders goes right ahead and does exactly what he was warned not to do -- an error of judgement, I'm afraid.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  7. Eric ruttan

Eric ruttan Senior Member

These posts are an example of motivated thinking.
    Motivated reasoning - Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motivated_reasoning
    Note a few pages ago the rebuking of the logical falacy appeal to authority (appeal to majority etc.) re, 'most scientists believe'
    Appeal to Authority https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/cgi-bin/uy/webpages.cgi?/logicalfallacies/Appeal-to-Authority
    In these latest posts Appeal to Authority is used to persuade.

These tricks of retoric and propaganda are the single largest threat to human kind. IMHO

8. Yobarnacle

AGW is a political movement attempting to weaponize "science consensus" to further their agenda. Control!
    Their desperation and. frantic frustration isn't about beat the heat. It's been shown in countless articles, we cannot reverse global warming with a 100% shutdown of human produced CO2.

The haste is to gain power before new technologies make their arguments mute. it's sooner than you imagine.

World’s Largest Nuclear Fusion Experiment Clears Milestone https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/worlds-largest-nuclear-fusion-experiment-clears-milestone/

9. Yobarnacle

"The use of the word "may" in this context means that the purpose of the author's study is not what may or may not happen at the smaller time scales of kyrs. In fact, they are specifically warning people, like Yob, to not take their studies out of context and apply their conclusions to what is happening now. But of course, Mr Blinders goes right ahead and does exactly what he was warned not to do -- an error of judgement, I'm afraid."

The word "May" is not a stipulation nor an endorsement. It's an uncertainty! But...or however...and what follows, offers resistance.

10. Yobarnacle

Disagreeing with you and your groups views, is an error in judgement? LOL! My half century excellent safety record ( in a very hazardous profession ), indicates awareness of danger and amelioration skills to minimize the danger risk. AGW's views and policy proposals put the world at risk. I attempt amelioration! I'll even go so far as to suggest, it's "WISE" to do so!

11. Eric ruttan

So now we have conspiracy theories informed by motivated thinking. For 70 years climatologists have made predictions, and those predictions continue to come true. Now they are all a giant cabal of power mad... whatever.

And, of course, this assumes one cannot possibly reduce carbon and enhance freedom. When all carbon reduction does is add opportunity and heal the planet.
    We can absolutely reverse the effects of our pollution. From planting trees to all of the other global carbon sinking ideas, there is a rich pool of opportunity and profit in cleaning up our pollution.
    The world wide consensus is that it is cheaper in capital and blood to adopt these new technologies. It is, however less profitable for those subsiding information sources you like to quote.
    Its moot, not mute.
    Note the paranoia. As if reducing fossil fuel subsidies and apply similar subsidies to lower carbon output solutions reduces human rights or opportunity in any way.
    meh, small scale thorium molten salt is way better/cheaper/safer. TMS reactors operate a one atmosphere of pressure. And eat old school nuclear 'waste'. That fusion reactor operates at, like 20000-50000 ATM. What happens when it goes boom?

12. Eric ruttan

note the appeal of authority, paranoia, and messiah complex

13. Yobarnacle

Note the loser tactic of last resort. if you can't refute the argument, mount a personal attack! LOl! Pathetic ineffectiveness.

14. Eric ruttan

Please point out the personal attack.

15. Yobarnacle

Re-read your posts. :)