Ocean News

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by ImaginaryNumber, Oct 8, 2015.

1. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Evidence, that's funny.

Actually, you made a very basic mistake in your reading and interpretation of the pilot charts and the NASA material.
    You can see exactly where and why you went wrong at theses two sites....

https://msi.nga.mil/NGAPortal/MSI.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=msi_portal_page_62&pubCode=0003

National Aeronautics and Space Administration https://www.nasa.gov/

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Gonzo - no-one but you has seen these Pilot Charts you talk about after EDIT 2002 (NOT 2015)

And as for your "Sea Ice is Increasing - .", that's a 2015 report, superseded by this more accurate one.
    The latest 2018 report "Scientists have found large increases in snow accumulation in a vast region of eastern Antarctica, a trend that, if it continues or becomes more widespread, could lessen the ice sheet's contribution to sea level rise and possibly help mitigate one of the most feared consequences of climate change." was recorded in just one area
    Climate change sea-level rise could be delayed by Antarctic snowfall http://www.afr.com/news/policy/climate/climate-change-sealevel-rise-could-be-reduced-by-antarctic-snowfall-20180104-h0d8ri

and " NASA Study Shows Global Sea Ice Diminishing, Despite Antarctic Gains
    "Sea ice increases in Antarctica do not make up for the accelerated Arctic sea ice loss of the last decades, a new NASA study finds. As a whole, the planet has been shedding sea ice at an average annual rate of 13,500 square miles (35,000 square kilometers) since 1979, the equivalent of losing an area of sea ice larger than the state of Maryland every year."
    NASA Study Shows Global Sea Ice Diminishing, Despite Antarctic Gains https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/nasa-study-shows-global-sea-ice-diminishing-despite-antarctic-gains

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I disagree to be the only one that has ever used pilot charts. Navigators have been using them for a couple of centuries. I NASA and the so called "scientific community" reverses the claims every couple of years, they are not really credible.

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I can't believe you are being so OBTUSE !!!

I NEVER SAID "only one that has ever used pilot charts" !!!!

The ONLY links you have produced are to charts up to 2002. They are OUT of F*^&*&^(G DATE !!!!

This has been pointed out time and time again, with no actual response from you.

Now you are rubbishing recent peer published NASA and NOAH Studies.

Is this just you being humorous ??

6. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

It's a rebuttal equilivant to the "evidence" gonzo has offered. An even more definitive rebuttal uses Gonzo's own sites in the exact manner he used them here... https://msi.nga.mil/NGAPortal/MSI.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=msi_portal_page_62&pubCode=0003
    and here...
    National Aeronautics and Space Administration https://www.nasa.gov/
    Proof positive he's wrong.
    He suggests I'm fomenting conspiracies, where I believe he is a simple troll, feigning (hopefully it's feigning) obtuseness to get more reactions.
    He's already gotten a page or two here with the only evidence proffered is his say-so that those two sites prove what he says. His unwillingness to provide any more specific information on the whereabouts of what might help his case is dismissed with "Firstly, I refer to a published document that is freely available. Secondly, I provided a link for you to download the pilot charts."
    Asked to be more specific as far as pinpointing where in this pile of handmade common seamen notes there might be support for what he says, he replies "I already did. It is in the link." It seems he's either a troll, or whatever he offers to counter the anthropological global warming situation is pretty well non existent.
    There are more reasons to doubt, but it's not worth the time. At least Barnacle tried to defend his outrageous claims, at times that was interesting.

7. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Secretary of the Navy Richard Spencer, and Chief of Naval Operations Admiral John Richardson, both highlighted these climate-related Arctic challenges before the

Geez, I guess this means you are not very credible either.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  8. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

You said before that you wear a white coat, so I assumed you were part of the "scientific community". But here you seem to siding with those who distrust the educated. You accuse me of fomenting conspiracies, and yet your whole foundational base is that almost 100% of the "scientific community" is in a co-conspiracy with the worlds deep state politicians to steal your tax dollars just to keep themselves in a job.
    Did you mean one of those white coats that have very long arms?

9. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Good news for gonzo and those who don't trust the "so called "scientific community" ". Nasa's Carbon Monitoring System has been shut down. Time to fire up the tiki torches and celebrate a return to the good old times of rampant ignorance, only this time it will be willful ignorance. Golly gee, one month the earth passes a milestone of above 400 ppm of co2, the next month the only system available to accurately track carbon emissions is shut down. I know politics aren't allowed here, but seriously, you *** ***** should be ashamed.

10. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Yeah, its not good, but as I understand it, its only the worldwide "other country" monitoring division.

That makes some sort of economic sense since the USA withdrew from the Paris agreement anyway.

Not that it will make any difference in the long run. There is no stopping this emissions juggernaut. The little bit of carbon saved by alternate power looks like a campfire next to a munitions factory explosion when compared to oil and coal use. Its just a token attempt, because civilisation would have to stop in order to prevent the upcoming disaster.

Maybe a few more disastrous winters, and severe drought in the crop growing areas of the world will jerk a bit of attention from the unmotivated masses.

For me, I would be moving my assets out of low lying coastal areas, stocking up on necessities for when the supply chain hiccups and making sure that the local water supply is as reliable as it can be. I note Australia is down to 25 days of fuel reserves, as we import all our liquid fuels.

We are in for a major earth changing epoch, and the war over resources has started with Syria, and will continue with China versus the world over trade and influence.

11. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

Apparently the science community will still have some CO2-monitoring capabilities, in spite of the loss of the CMS.

NASA program to track greenhouse gas is canceled (Update) | PHYS.org

12. ImaginaryNumber

Thinning Arctic Sea Ice Prompts Algae Bloom Study | Climate Central

Climate change is stirring life in the Arctic Ocean as thinning sea ice lets in more sunlight, allowing microscopic algae to bloom in the inhospitable region around the North Pole.

The average thickness of Arctic sea ice fell to 1.89 meters (6.2 ft) in 2008 from 3.64 meters in 1980, according to another study. Sub-ice algae seem to become dormant in winter, when the sun disappears for months, and are revived in spring.

The micro-algae may now be able to grow under the ice across almost 30 percent of the Arctic Ocean at the peak of the brief summer in July, up from about 5 percent 30 years ago. Blooms may become even more widespread.

13. ImaginaryNumber

Climate Change Could Destroy Even the Ocean's Most Pristine Parks | The Atlantic

Governments have established more than 8,000 marine protected areas, or MPAs, worldwide. These conservation areas are supposed to act as refuges, shielding animals and plants from human exploitation of the environment. A study, published in Nature Climate Change, predicts five times more warming than we’ve seen in the last 15, 20 years, and in some areas, up to 10 times more warming is forecast.

The new paper also raises two problems—one new and one old. First, the models suggest that the parts of the oceans that don’t warm are most vulnerable to deoxygenation.

The second problem is a human problem, not a natural one. For the last two decades, scientists have aimed to protect parts of the ocean that will resist global warming—to find so-called refugia from warming. The study found that only 3.5 percent of the world’s marine protected areas—or fewer than 300 areas total—will be protected from both future warming and deoxygenation.

14. ImaginaryNumber

Melting of Arctic mountain glaciers unprecedented in the past 400 years | Science News

A study, published in the Journal of Geophysical Research, reports that glaciers in Alaska's Denali National Park are melting faster than at any time in the past four centuries because of rising summer temperatures.

Ice cores taken from the summit of Mt. Hunter in Denali National Park show summers there are least 1.2-2 degrees Celsius (2.2-3.6 degrees Fahrenheit) warmer than summers were during the 18th, 19th, and early 20th centuries. The warming at Mt. Hunter is about double the amount of warming that has occurred during the summer at areas at sea level in Alaska over the same time period.

The study's authors conclude warming of the tropical Pacific Ocean has contributed to the unprecedented melting of Mt. Hunter's glaciers by altering how air moves from the tropics to the poles. They suspect melting of mountain glaciers may accelerate faster than melting of sea level glaciers as the Arctic continues to warm.

15. ImaginaryNumber

It seems someone is producing a banned ozone-depleting chemical again | ARS Technica

A study produced by NASA has been tracking the decline of atmospheric chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) and noticed something off with CFC-11. Instead of an accelerating decline, CFC-11 showed a steady drop of 2.1 parts-per-trillion each year between 2002 and 2012. Since then, its decline has actually slowed. Between 2015 and 2017, CFC-11 dropped at only 1.0 part-per-trillion per year. While there may still be some older machines leaking CFC-11, these sources should gradually disappear over time, allowing the decline of its atmospheric concentration to accelerate.

Seeing as nations are required to track CFC production and report accurate numbers to the United Nations group that oversees the Montreal agreement, this is going to be a contentious conclusion. The researchers chose their words carefully, and the network of measurements isn’t complete enough to point the finger at a specific nation. Still, the list of suspects is short, and some nation needs to find and snuff out the illicit industrial activity within its borders in order to hold up its end of the Montreal Protocol.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.