Van der Stadt Caribbean 40 project?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Lenny25, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Lenny25

Lenny25 Junior Member

Hey guys,

Im new to this forum. I've been offered a 40ft steel Caribbean hull, partially fitted out inside. The owner says it has some equipment, but im not holding my breathe, so lets assume it doesn't have any rigging. It's going for free, cos the owner needs it moved off his property urgently.

I'm a person who loves building stuff, and have always wanted to built a sailboat my whole life. Im fairly experienced and well equipped in the woodwork and joinery sphere. Also have a few contacts through whom I have access to cheap or free wood.

So I'm just trying to weigh whether this is a project that will be worthwhile. Excluding the costs of joinery, cupboards, decks, apolstry etc...What would I expect to pay for rigging and equipment? I've heard that steel yachts require lots of expensive insulation in colder waters and that causes condensation issues. I'm in South Africa and would not really expect to want to ever travel outside of the tropics... would I still need the same insulation?

Thanks in advance

2. M&M Ovenden

M&M Ovenden Senior Member

Hi Lenny -
    Quick response - the "cost" of a hull isn't what adds up on a sailboat. engine, rigging, sails, toys, ballast. Get some pricing on these other things before jumping in. You might be better finding a complete used sailboat.

Cheers,
    Mark

3. tane

tane Senior Member

izza LOT of work! LOTS&LOTS&LOTS! if you are unexperienced in boatbuilding count on 5000 hours absolute minimum

4. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

If you want a possible divorce, go for it. Otherwise you need a wife like mine who is very understandable, clever and above all: patient. I am like you who cannot sit quite and read a book. I personally would take it and sell it to the highest bidder. Although I thoroughly enjoyed my last 6 years in building something which is not the fastest, best looking nor boat builder's first option. However I had great fun in building it. Cost? certainly not the cheapest issue. You make mistakes, have to buy in small quantities, tools you have to buy or maybe borrow and it may break. You have some good prices in Cape Town for rigging, components etc. Take the deal and then start doing your homework. If you decide not to do it, you can always sell for a couple of Rands to the scrap yard.
    Bert

5. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

If it is ballasted & has been blasted/painted to a good quality to primer/highbuild then it's probably good, I'd certainly take it up if local to me. The "Norman" design would be my preference, not sure if there's any difference in the hull etc beyond the deck-house style, they appear to generally have a higher asking price but of course might have higher engine power & glazing costs plus interior helm.
    http://www.stadtdesign.com/designs/stock_plans_sail/norman_40

Could give you lots of enjoyment in all the finishing details:)

Jeff

6. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

7. RHP

RHP Senior Member

I'd take it then go to a small boat yard and get them to complete it.

For me it isn't worth the time, stress, learning curve etc.. of trying to complete a 40' .. I struggle to maintain my own 24' yacht.

8. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Although the cost escalates quickly the work is often easier on 35-40 foot, systems are similar in complexity but more room to move and make fit compared to 28-32.
    Of course I prefer to buy lighter equipment for the smaller boat though;).

Jeff.

9. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

@ Lenny 25 "I've heard that steel yachts require lots of expensive insulation in colder waters and that causes condensation issues. I'm in South Africa and would not really expect to want to ever travel outside of the tropics... would I still need the same insulation?

Thanks in advance"

Yes, you need insulation as good as for cold climate unless you plan to live in a dutch oven with the gas burning under, ie a sauna at medium heat aroumg 120 F.
    As many already said it's a costly, long and hard project. You have the risk to end alone, penniless with a unfinished no value boat in the hands. Make your realistic home work on an excel sheet. The results will be very unpleasant for your dreams. A good used polyester boat is probably a better option. There are plenty of used polyester boats in the European marinas, and probably in South Africa, at bargain prices. The cost of the travel is worth to spend...

10. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

Obviously.. another factor is to assess if the hull has been well put together and well coated. Poor construction and or especially poor steel coating will mean that the boat may never have a market value equal to the cost of finishing it and there will be a continual battle against rust.
    I'd say only take it on if you want several years of project work, if it's a boat you want, go and buy one, it will cost less and you can go sailing! (I speak from experience)

I fitted out about half of the interior on an aluminium vds Norman. The owner/builder took it Transatlantic and back with his family and they have lived onboard for a few years now. They are really pleased with the boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.