Outboard positioning

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by mojounwin, Dec 19, 2005.

1. mojounwin

mojounwin Junior Member

I have an auxilary outboard that I am wanting to tilt 90 degrees when not being used, so that the shaft is horizontal. I've heard that this may cause the fuel to drain out of the carby and make it difficult to start when I need to use it. Do people think this will be a problem?

Thanks
    Mike

2. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Normal practice is to raise outboards to roughly 45 degrees. raising any further could cause engine trouble, but it is more likely to cause a big engineering problem to actually rotate it and hold it that far.

Do you have a depth problem with the outboard? Could you lift it off and stow it internally?

Tim B.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Depends on the engine make and model.

4. george allard

george allard Junior Member

gas

Turn of the gas supply off, and run the engine until the carb is dry.

5. Deering

Deering Senior Member

Be careful if it's a four-stroke. Some of them only liked to be stored in certain positions due to oil accumulation. Check your owner's manual.

6. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

If the motor's on the boat, it's also important that the lower gearcase is always below the level of the powerhead- if you tilt past about 70-80 degrees, with most engines, water that's left in the inside of the gearcase will drain back up the exhaust lines into the cylinders. As Deering says, four-strokes are also sensitive to tilt due to their oil, which really ought to stay where the maker intended it to. If you're storing long-term, do as george says and unplug the gas line and run until it dies. Many engines also have a screw on the bottom of the carb for draining the float bowl. For your aux engine, I'd suggest tilting it only far enough to have the skeg clear of the water- probably about 45-60 degrees, most small motors have a pin or latch that can lock them in this position.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.