ocean conditions are changing due to Rapid Global Climate Shift

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Boston, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

ImaginaryNumber 541
    hoytedow 408
    Boston 300
    troy2000 223
    Frosty 197
    powerabout 177

Of course you are welcome to quit posting your political tripe any time. :rolleyes:

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I'll quit when you quit. You will still be way ahead. Thanks for posting the numbers.

It would be better to just torpedoe(rhymes with potatoe :) ) this thread to Davy Jones's Locker.

3. bntii

bntii Senior Member

This thread is about scientific findings which may directly effect where we sail and in my case where I work as well.
    As such it remains a perfectly valid and topical thread for this forum.

The Chesapeake Bay Magazine just published a decent review article on how rising water level have been affecting the Bay region and will continue to do so into the future.
    Many other maritime publications deal directly with this topic as it has the potential to effect us all.

If you desire less political discourse, stop politicizing the issue.
    Keep you comments directed at the scientific findings and the potential effect of these findings to our mutual interest in sailing and coastal issues.

4. hoytedow

ScienceDaily published an article that utilized NOAA satellite data which said the sea level rise was a miniscule 1.8 mm per anum in Chesapeake Bay. The same article said that land was subsiding at an even faster rate of 2.72 mm per anum due to on-going tilt of the North American plate back towards its previous position;readjusting tilt resulting from the end of the last ice age.

At that rate people on the Chesapeake Bay coast could drown in a few hundred years if they didn't have enough sense to walk a ways uphill.

So let's all run around like chickens and throw away our freedom in the meantime.

5. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Yes- the Chesapeake Bay basin is in double jeopardy- imposed on the regional subsidence in the broader rise in sea levels.

In reviewing the damage to coastal areas from Sandy- extrapolate that damage to some 10% or the worlds population and all the cities and other structures in vulnerable areas.
    This is a large issue- less than a century to make this change in established infrastructure in no mean feat.

6. hoytedow

When the next ice age hits(before long) that subsidence will reverse pretty much leaving the bay as it is or even drier.

7. hoytedow

Attached Files:

8. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Just watched a science show on OZ stating that since 1985 when weight heights have been measured by satellite, they have trended bigger in the southern ocean.
    Thats a small stat in the history of the world so not sure what you can make of that.
    I guess man adapts, the surfboards have got smaller and the yachts in the Sydney to Hobart have got bigger

9. hoytedow

We will need coal.

10. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

What is the reference for your statement? My guess is that a plate which is weighted down by ice may behave more like a trampoline rather than a teeter-totter. The center of Greenland is depressed so far that if all the ice melted suddenly the landmass remaining would form a ring of islands about what is now the central ice cap.

The last North American ice sheet depressed the area surrounding Montreal, Canada such that when it melted what is now known as Lake Champlain (between NY, VT and Quebec) was below sea level and flooded through the St. Lawrence Seaway to become known as the Champlain Sea. Over time, as the land rebounded, the 'lake' rose to its present level of about 100' above sea level and now is a freshwater lake.

But all this took place over thousands of years, and is hardly something to worry about in the face of the short time frame we have to deal with Global Warming -- unless you're the statistical type who puts one foot in a pan of boiling water and the other foot on a block of ice, and then declares that on average he feels quite comfortable. :D

11. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Its more complex than that..Each plate is composed of many plates.

The Allegheny mountains on the US east coast are a plate impact zone for instance. I was taught that the Chesapeake was a plate fracture and that the western side of the bay was rising..Calvert Cliffs with its Dinosaur teeth falling out of the cliff face and onto the beach and the Eastern Side of the chesapeake was settling...Marshland.

I cant remember all that school stuff. half a century ago. I believe the entire east coast is sinking...sea level rise from whatever mechanism extra.

New York city will be uninhabitable in 100 years. Like Venice, prone to flooding from even minor events.

Hedge Fund types will need fishing waders to go to work. Islands of Floating Bagels will plug storm drains.

12. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Australia the lucky country......
    if it was still underwater we would have to dredge all the minerals up luckily they had global warming years ago and it dried up to we can mine with bulldozers
    PS One side of OZ is going up and the other down....by a few centimeters per year I believe.

13. hoytedow

Here is the low-down on the Chesapeake Bay mow-down.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesapeake_Bay_impact_crater
    [​IMG]

"The crater is also one factor contributing to the sinking of land near the Chesapeake Bay. For example, Hampton Roads is gradually sinking at a rate between 15 and 23 centimeters (5 and 7.5 inches) per century. This is occurring because of the slippage of the coast into the crater and groundwater removal, counteracting “isostatic rebound” of the crust of the earth from the weight of long absent glaciers.[4]"

14. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Thanks for that Hoyte- I think I remember aquifer draw downs as being a contributing factor in the basin as well.
    If I am remembering right that some aspect of the aquifer centered under Dorchester county makes is more prone to problems..?

Anne Arundel is far less vulnerable than some of the more topography challenged counties on the bay.
    Here is a planing summary they put together:

http://dnr.maryland.gov/coastsmart/pdfs/aaslrstrategicplan_final.pdf

15. hoytedow