ocean conditions are changing due to Rapid Global Climate Shift

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Boston, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I think you can be excused for your well documented and logical opinions Troy.

But, back to possible futures, I am hearing more and more about how near the climate changes are that will seriously affect our kids, not just far away future generations.

The problem seems to be that the ~4 degrees of warming will trigger a big thaw in millions of hectares of 'frozen wastes',

"It is estimated that the west Siberian bog alone contains some 70 billion tonnes of methane, a quarter of all the methane stored on the land surface of the world. This is equivalent to emitting 1.7 trillion tons of CO2, which is more greenhouse gas than has been emitted by humans in the past 200 years. "

http://planetextinction.com/planet_extinction_permafrost.htm

Maybe we should seriously think about buying real estate in Antarctica ? Thank goodness it didnt get made into a national park a few weeks ago.

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ah -- a reason for irrational dislike of constructive criticism.

Most men can take critisicm. My father tought me to embrace it. You cant know what going on if you wont let people tell you.

Its your best friend that tells you your breath smells or there is toilet paper dragging behind you.

Or would you rather just not know and look like a ---

Then people greet you and tell you how well you look when actually you are at deaths door but you cant take the critisicm.

Does that not seem a little distant and juvenille.

3. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

I am *still* waiting on that promised sea level rise so I can launch at the bottom of my yard and not have to truck the boat to the local marina.

So, if it's going to happen, I wish it'd hurry up.....

PDW

1 person likes this.
  4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Great idea - I am going to leave my engine running, so that the 'tipping point' is reached earlier.

Actually, it will be good timing - by the time the water is close enough to launch the boat, it will be needed to sail south to avoid the drama near the equator - thats after you plunder the drowned cities - Waterworld style, for supplies :)

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Well according to the BBc lately you wont be too early to start digging your dock now.

It always easier to lay a concrete slip when the water is not there yet.

You have the time (just) to make underground wiring and lighting --make a good job of it.

Oh you had better hurry up its the end of the world friday next. It would be a shame to do all that work and get an asteroid in your compost heap.

6. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

"Oh you had better hurry up its the end of the world friday next"...oh ta Frosty, I am off to tell the Queen......

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I think she will have been advised. I think she is spending Christmas with Obama in a nuclear submarine just of the cost of the Antactica,---nice.

Leaving Thursday afternoon!!

8. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

9. bntii

bntii Senior Member

The little bit I had looked into it the upcoming IPCC report is viewed as containing accelerated predictions for melting/sea level rise.
    My wife just mentioned that convention in Qatar is reporting faster than predicted rise by 60%:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/en...a-levels-to-rise-by-more-than-1m-by-2100.html

Talking about the overwash events and damage to structures from Sandy, half of the meter predicted rise in the next 90 years will remove all of the structures on those Islands.

Expensive, PITA? yes, I am guessing the more telling effect however will be to the 'climate' and associated effects on agriculture.
    Some areas will benefit, others will see deteriorating conditions.
    Adaptation- isn't that the vaulted characteristic we humans are supposed to poses in spades?

A hundred years could see a world where in net, we have reduced (or increased) agriculturally viable regions. At this point I don't think there is any way to predict..

Of course- there is the "Day after tomorrow" scenario:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnvqsWVluCE
    There is a well documented area of research which deals with actual events where rapid shifts in global temperatures occur during these long progressions from a cooler epochs (where we are now) and warmer periods.

Buy some popcorn but this movie is the long running version and might try the most patient..

How about this for a movie script:

A research vessel with Russell Crow as scientist, is looking into the failing 'Atlantic conveyer'. When the earths magnetic poles suddenly reverses he looses his way and washes up at a arctic military base where a determined (and crazy) captain (played by Matt Damon), is trying to keep a secret military missile operation from launching nukes towards a rapidly approaching asteroid that will hit the earth because he believes that the asteroid carries the last aliens from a planet where they screwed up the climate.

I won't tell you the ending but the aliens know how to solve the climate problem- they just found out too late for their planet....

OK OK- enough blather..I have to roll out to the shop in Annapolis (I hope it's still there...) and finish up the project this is going on:

lighthouse.jpg

10. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Adaption to climate change is the great unknown. Will it be man made adaption ? will it be genetically modified ? will it be government subsidized ? will it require a vast transfer of funds to less developed nations ?

Many knows and many unknowns .

11. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

Aljazeera -- Gulf states quiet on climate change pledges

12. ImaginaryNumber

Live Mint -- Geo-engineering wins scant enthusiasm at UN climate talks

13. ImaginaryNumber

The Oregonian -- Exposing the logic of climate change denial

14. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Hoyt, you're as big an idiot as the people who are convinced humans are responsible for all the planetary climate changes.

I *live* on the edge of a drowned river valley. Guess how it got drowned? Climate change, global warming and sea level rise.

Is another metre or 2 really too much to ask for? A couple degrees C temperature increase would be OK as well. The Balleny Islands might be a nice cruising ground if they were ice free and a bit warmer, who knows?

After all, the world didn't end during the Roman times and the medieval warming period, so it's unlikely to end now too.

I know the Australian Government doesn't believe in AGW because the things they *do* as opposed to what they say all lead to increased CO2 emissions. Far be it for me to accuse them of hypocrisy and incompetence.

PDW

15. underseahunter

underseahunter New Member

Quick hit and run, I have to step away from the computer...

I just jumped in without reading all the pages so far, please forgive me...

I take no position on whether a huge volcanic eruption, or series of them (along the Ring of Fire) can toss up in a single day as much debris, harmful gases and sun dampening particles into the atmosphere as man does (over how many years?) by our activities. Think Krakatoa, that chilled the planet for something like 3 years (?). When I was growing up climatologists were warning the world about an impending ice age, because of man made particulates and gases. So they stopped ADDING LEAD to the gasoline. Lead was ADDED to gasoline, as the olde timers know, to help lubricate the internal moving parts of an engine, modern metallurgy has made this practice obsolete. They also stopped using HCFC's (hydrochlorofluorocarbons) as aerosol can propellants, but STILL continue to allow TANKER TRUCKS of HCFC's to sterilize agricultural soil against nematodes. But I digress...

Sorry for this "hit and run," but I have two cents, live at the closest point to where the Gulf Stream brushes the Florida coast, and have seen documentaries positing that the DEEP OCEAN CONVEYOR CURRENT of which the Gulf Stream is just a surface constituent part has been brought to a halt several times in the past. Once for instance when the huge ice dam that covered much of the North American continent "burst." This spilled trillions of gallons of fresh water into the ocean, RAISING sea levels globally, affected salinity so therefore glacial melt rates, and bounced the world back into a secondary, ice age. Part two, if you will.

I would point out that this DEEP OCEAN CONVEYOR current that takes something like 2000 years to make a complete circumnavigation of the globe, but has dramatic effects on the worlds oceans and therefore climate. So this discussion of the Gulf Stream Stopping indicates the underlying current slowing too, and this will stop or slow down the transfer of warm water up and over to Europe... still the affect is to LOWER the world's temperature...

I have also read that the uppermost 30fsw is where 90% of the worlds photosynthesis takes place. This means that our oxygen really comes from the oceans, not the forests. Ponder this, cause if we get a shading of the oceans phytoplankton there will be less oxygen about. So even though I live in coastal Florida, I would rather move inland than be freezing, with less oxygen to breathe. Just saying, think about ice age conditions vs. "global warming."

Don't blame me, I own a sailboat, LOL. Also, on my home I have 12KW of photovoltaics, and produce a NET surplus of "Green/clean" electricity to the grid.

Lastly, I felt the need to distinguish this D.O.C. current from the Gulf Stream itself. Mostly because of the similar distinction needed between "Pole Shift" and "Crustal Displacement Theory." Pole Shift is ascribed to just a migration of the magnetic poles. People who often talk about "Pole Shift" REALLY should be more concerned with "Crustal Displacement Theory" of which the magnetic pole shifting is just a minor side effect. Crustal Displacement can be likened to the skin of a tangerine fruit, as it is loose from the fruit inside, being shifted around the fruit itself. This is a HUGE distinction. If the Crust shifts rapidly, we are in for global scale 500 foot tsunamis, if the magnetic pole shifts, just keep calm, adjust your heading, and carry on.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012