Obtaining heeled waterlines in Freeship

Discussion in 'Software' started by lewisboats, Oct 7, 2009.

1. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Well...none of the interior stuff is there...it has a the standard cockpit layout with a bench on each side and the cabin hatch/companion way in the middle. I expect it to reach at least 110 degrees before it tries to go all the way over. The cockpit is self draining so if the cabin entryway is sealed properly it should drain itself if and when you get it back upright.

2. Martijn_vE

Martijn_vE Marine software developer

What I was merely trying to say is that the boat is dry until 59 degrees, after that water enters the cockpit. It's not necessarily the end of your boat.

3. lewisboats

Oh...I know...no problems. I didn't give you the file with the interior so I was trying to explain what I had in mind. It was only after I read your post that I saw you had posted in the Plyboats thread and had thus probably seen the interior and cockpit layout. I haven't tried to mirror that one yet.

4. yipster

yipster designer

really nice that these things are possible with free / delftship also and hear Martijn on his program again
    forgot, but thought 50.- was discussed once as share in teh devellopment of free!ship if we liked it

5. yipster

yipster designer

well 35000x50 wont work i guess and buying some dellicious dutch chinese food tonight then i must thank you Steve and Martijn for your posts
    so taking care all this is fairly easy possible, altho still having some doubles in the flowlines too, its more fun than studying inventor

Attached Files:

6. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

it must take a lot of HP to get that hull to plane at that angle .

7. lewisboats

Looks to me like you have your quality too low...that might be part of the problem...try changing to highest (in Freeship).

1 person likes this.
  8. Martijn_vE

That or a really heavy person sitting on the transom, taking the draft into account:D

9. yipster

yipster designer

Martijn, i'm not trying to spoil the tread but what to think or reply?
    draft as in design, boat, payment, or a simple joke? i use free!ship for pleasure and think of it as a great gift ( or was it shareware )
    and did not mean to insult you, like to see devellopment but dont like copy's sold eighter
    i refer to the manual for flowline use but shown hull was only a quik test on a non linear hull giving it some pitch and yaw to see if it works this way too
    witch it seems to do to an extend, quality is on and the shadowing, i think, is the result of the hidden second hulls geometry, as are some lines, havent figgered it out
    for all boat lovers having dinner, bon appetit, live is good, taxes just aint :-(
    ps had a volvo shakespere speedboat once that was actually good making that angle going WOT

10. Martijn_vE

Don't worry Joop, it was simply a joke. I noticed that the DWL was very high, and I assumed this was done simply to play with the flowlines. Did not mean to offend you at all.

11. yipster

yipster designer

thanks Martijn, you even got my dutch unspeakable in english nickname
    i owe you one and "eet smakelijk" :D

12. Martijn_vE

I figure that would be "djoep", or something alike.
    The only thing I don't understand was your remark about selling copies.
    Are you referring to FREE!ship or DELFTship here?

13. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Maybe I have missed something here, also because the solution seem to be spread over several posts...
    So please, can someone write here a 10-lines (or as many as you need...) primer on how do you guys obtain hydrostatic properties of a heeled hull, either with Freeship or with Delftship?
    Here is an example of a sailboat hull, let's say we want to heel it to 20°.

Attached Files:

14. lewisboats

That's because the solution was developed over several posts...progress reports so to speak :D

Seeing as I can't open it 'cause it is a later version than what I have I'll have to punt

I am assuming it is a half hull and not mirrored yet.
    1: Save the file to something else so you don't mess up the original.
    2: Select all then go to Transform/Mirror...you are going to mirror on the vertical plane, distance 0 and connect to existing points should be checked. Click OK.
    3: Deselect all and then make a new layer. Click the Show interior edges button to turn on the mesh. Start putting the MIRRORED stuff on separate layers. Once you have done that go into the layers properties and for all the layers of the MIRRORED side deselect the "Use for hydrostatics" box but leave the symmetric box checked. Got to Calcs/design hydrostatics and copy all the info so you can compare...paste to a .txt file.
    4: Got to Transform/rotate and rotate along the longitudinal axis and put in your degree amount that you wish to rotate the hull. + numbers rotate to port and - numbers rotate starboard.
    5: Check your hydrostatics...then adjust your DRAFT so that you get your Displacement back to what it was in the unrotated info (your .txt file) or your previous unmirrored model. You will have to fiddle with the draft to return to your proper displacement each time you change the heel angle.

You should now have the info you are looking for.

15. lewisboats

In the above...all of your surface areas will be doubled...can't seem to get away from that...so you will need to reduce your thickness by half or your weights per thickness (provided you already have put something in there of course)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.