replacing diesel with lead to increase stability

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by francis k, Jan 23, 2007.

1. francis k

francis k Junior Member

I have a Pacific Seacraft 25. People generally use these on Great lakes, and Bays and coastal. There is room in the bottom of the bilge for more ballast at the bottom just aft of the normal ballast. I would like to remove the engine and fuel tank and replace w/lead. Can more ballast hurt if I keep the displacement the same. The lead would be just forward of the engine. The boat is 4750 displacement,1750 ballast,8 foot beam 3'3" draft,pointed stern. I need the extra storage space anyway. why not lead instead.

2. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

Don't you need the engine more than you need storage?

Adding and equal amount of lead to the weight of the removed engine and tank should not hurt the boat.

Taking the engine out and fitting an outboard instead would ruin the boat.

Rowing a 4750 pound boat in and out of your slip might get tedious after the first few times. :)

3. francis k

francis k Junior Member

This is a small boat and I am taking it cruising ,carrying a lot of equipment. I would like to increase the stability and I am asking if my idea would make a notable difference. The engine is now considerably higher than the ballast so removing it would lower the center of gravity without adding the lead. I carry a lot of spares, anchors, chain, tools... maybe I should not add the lead.But just remove the engine. I don't know how to determine if I am overloading

4. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

Cruising in an overloaded boat is certainly something to be avoided. You should be commended for taking that into consideration. :)

I would contact Pacific Seacraft and ask what they consider a safe load for the design. Then I'd weigh my stuff and only load the boat within it's design limits.

Good luck, it sounds like you are planning ahead. That's a good thing. I don't think that removing the engine would be wise.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.