Oarlock socket installation?

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by kendz, May 21, 2012.

1. kendz

kendz New Member

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has some advice for installing oarlock sockets on my 14' metal flat bottom boat. Just picked it up used and one of the original sockets is missing. I got a new pair of side mount sockets but the lip/rim extends too far for the oarlock to slide in. If I were to just put a spacer in there is not enough height for the oar to totally clear the rim.

I am considering using 2x4's as a spacer and extend one up above the rim to mount the socket onto.

I am planning on using it to float some local rivers so don't know if the wood can handle the stress of rowing with current?

Any other suggestions? Also should I put a backing on the other side of the bolts to disperse weight?

Thanks,

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

You have to match the new socket with the old one. The boat had oarlocks, right?
    Getting the right socket means checking out a few catalogues. Have you done that?

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Make both the same and a 2x4 extension sounds fine, if you feel comfortable with the extra height.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.