NPower Wind Generator

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by captainjsw, Jun 5, 2012.

1. captainjsw

captainjsw Junior Member

2. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

I would probably go with a 400watt solar array instead. A little more than the cheap wind turbine, but much easier to live with.

That being said, practical sailor did an in depth review of wind turbines a few months back (I think), it might be worth looking for the article. NM here it is

http://www.naviclub.com/Test_comparatif_eoliennes_marine.pdf

3. captainjsw

captainjsw Junior Member

Thanks for the reply Stumble, I have 2 x 400w solar panel arrays, but most of the time one is in the shade of the mainsail (cabin top on catamaran), I get on average around 20 amps per side from the panels, when the sun is low output is really reduced, I have MPPT regulators. At anchor at midday when the batteries are low I can see a combined output of close to 45 amps maybe 50, so that is OK. But at night its zero of course, I just need a bit more, in reaching conditions a wind gen would be good - yes I know not much down wind or at anchor but the panels should work better in those conditions

4. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

They don't work when underway on most sailboats (lets say under fifty feet). They just swing around in circles. One usually secures them when underway.

(edit) "they" meaning windgennys in general. I don't know the specific one the OP asked about.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

5. captainjsw

captainjsw Junior Member

Thanks Phil, a few folks have them in my Marina (Cullen Bay -Darwin Northern Territory Australia).. Will ask around and see what those guys think. My freezer is quite inefficient and the compressor pretty much runs all the time, going to do some work on the cabinet and maybe change the unit. Which would save a heap of power and maybe the panels would keep pace
    John

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.