3D catamaran hull models

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by grob, Feb 19, 2004.

1. grob

grob www.windknife.com

In the post "Bow forms for a- & c-class cats " a couple of people were asking for more information on the hull shapes,

I am sure there are a few designers out there like me with CAD skills that could produce and distribute 3D hulls.

I am interested in beachcat hull design and with the information posted by Patrik I was able to build a crude 3D CAD model of the MM A2 hull. By crude I mean that you probably would not want to be making moulds straight from this data but its more than adequate for getting design information from. Which is what this forum is about. See picture below.

[​IMG]
    So I have 4 requests

1. If anyone can send me or post links to any public domain drawings of catamaran hulls I would be happy to carry on creating these models. I need plan, side and section views.

2. Is there a way to make these models available on this site?. Preferably as IGES files but I am open to suggestions.

3. Does anyone have suggestions how else we could present this data for people without access to CAD, i.e. Cp values, Volumes, Wetted surface area.

4. Is anyone else willing to lend a hand to create and post these models of other types of boats.

All the best

Gareth
    www.fourhulls.com

Last edited: Feb 19, 2004
  2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Formula 48 multihulls

Thanks for your work; I'd like to help but for the time being am limited by webtv.
    I'm very much interested in the technical details of these new hull shapes specifically to analyze their potential benefits to the Formula 48 (48" X 48") size of rc multihull.The Class allows movable ballast and my version would use it.
    The current scuttlebutt in this still forming rc multihull class is that trimarans are the fastest -largely based on second or third hand information from Europe. Races will soon be organized within the model class and I'm interested in getting the most info on these new shapes possible.

3. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

You are welcome to attach IGES files to a message. Note however that file size is currently hard-limited to 2 MB, and forum attachments work best under 1 MB.

What would be really nice would be to integrate our own drawing file / model viewer as some of the model sharing sites do (e.g. http://forums.boatdesign.net/showthread.php?t=2778 ) but adding such a model viewer is somewhat difficult/expensive so I'm not sure if it's doable in the short term.

4. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

I saw the curve of area questions in the parallel thread. Has anyone tried using MICHLET or SPLASH to optimize the volume distribution?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.