Novice In Need!

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by surfdreams, Dec 27, 2006.

1. surfdreams

surfdreams Junior Member

little time and 2 much info plz help! I am wanting to build an economical but sturdy power boat for charter fishing off the coast of coasta rica. I plan on leaving in a couple of months and boating from a texas port all the way to panama canal. I am looking for something at least 25 to 30 foot long but with so many articles, methods and materials not to mention designs I am going cross eyed and mad. perhaps someone with experience could give me there recomendations i really want to go with diesel inboards. i have been looking at designs for walk arounds, center consoles, cabin cruisers. I have some fiberglass experience but not in marine applications. any advice i get would be appreciated i'm looking for economics, strength, and simplicity of building but dont want to sacrifice speed comfort and functionability where not neccassary. Can someone pleaze tell me the best place to purchase full size plans and materials?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  2. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Welcome to the forum.

Try Bruce Roberts for plans. There are many other good designers you can look at.

Once you decide on what type of boat will best suite the fishing you plan on & provide room to live aboard, you can narrow your choice.

The size will depend on how many will be living aboard & the size of the fishing guest's parties on-board. Your financial situation will also be a/the major factor.

Assuming you will live alone & small groups for fishing, 30 foot will be an absolute minimum length IMO. With wanting to take it down on it's own hull, I'd push that to approx. 35 foot.

There is practicaly no way to build such a boat (even 25') in a couple of months. By yourself, you'd have to almost work full-time & hard to get it done proper in TWO YEARS!

If you can afford, it and feel you must go now- buy a boat. There are some good deals out there if you look.

Your suggestion to take a 25 footer down on it's own tells me you may not have alot of big-water experience. If thats so, take a breath, slow down, and learn to walk before you run.

Once again, welcome to the forum. Have a good New Years.

TGoz

3. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

A couple of more thoughts. If you have not been there, go down & see what boats are in use for your intended purpose.

There may be laws governing a skipper's qualifications & citizenship.

A good option regarding the boat may be to buy one in Costa Rica, especially if you decide a 30 footer fits your needs, as this is a small boat for the passage from the USA.

TGoz

4. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

as Timgoz suggest its important to know the laws,,,,in America only boats built here can commercial fish and or charter,,,old law to keep boatyards up to snuff,,,longliner

5. surfdreams

surfdreams Junior Member

Tim thanks for your help I am in a hurry but have taken your advice to slow down i have decided to ship the boat to costa rica so my need for the passage portion have gone bye bye however i still intend on building to save money local fishermen use whatever they csn do to the economy there i will be starting off from scratch and am trying to learn the laws and where to look i am considering buying a salvage and refurbishing but have a lot of research still. I plan on hiring a local captain and crew for small fishing parties for marlin and other large game fish but my boat budget is under 10,000 so we will see

6. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Good luck to you Surf.

Whatever way you go in getting a boat you will find lots of information on the forum.

I'd go with diesel also. Personally I do not like gas or even propane, as both our potential bombs. A friend in Alaska had his boat blow up on him when he went to light his stove in the AM for coffee.

You are going to have a hard time doing what you want on $10,000.

Happy New Year.

TGoz

7. surfdreams

surfdreams Junior Member

i too prefer diesel its also more readily available in costa rica and i'm not sure about not being able to do it see i quit my job and commited sight unseen to do this T so it has to be done. I am now looking into a simple center console walk around design with no cabin or quarters simple fishing boat. freight is only $500 american the boat kit is about $2000 w/o motor. Never under estimate the will power of the desperate and determined and this forum is very helpful. god speed bro

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.