not sure what I'm going to do at this point

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Boston, Sep 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Have they mailed you back the check or did they cash it?

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You can go lighter without any unexpected stability issues. In fact you can go lighter and improve it. If the hull was redrawn, there's no reason to stick with the underwater areas as done in 1930. I'd be inclined to use a box keel hull form, below the LWL to improve efficiency, reduce draft and provide a handy place for the engine and mechanics to live low in the hull. Above the LWL she'd look the same.

There is a question though, Dan are you interesting the flat top with the deck house, which is usually referred to as the flat top or are you interested in the raised deck cruiser, both from Elco. The curiser has the flat foredeck and raised pilothouse, but has the enclosed cabin just aft of the pilothouse on the same deck or slightly lower. The flat top on the other hand has the flat foredeck and the raised pilothouse, but the after cabin structures are much lower, with the cabin roof being only a few feet of the weather deck. Sometimes you see this with a roof over it and dinghies stored on the after house roof. The flat top was typical of 42's and smaller, while the cruiser style was more often seen in the larger sizes.

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Ya After a long and ugly decision making process I'm still not sure what the hell ild build.
    Choosing one to buy wasn't so bad but dam the number of design options was killing me.

The sharpie bottom with the box keel on the Haida Princess looked pretty dam slick, it was one of the things I kinda liked about it.

Would be cake to do in ply and would end up pretty strong with the right chine detail
    Ild end up doing something traditional above the water line though
    Who knows

B

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

Focussing on the least important issue again.

Dan, you should get some distance, and some sea legs.

Going to sea is not related to boats, it is related to personal capabilities.

Have a nice day...

Richard

5. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Oh and no I haven't gotten the check back yet

No worries though cause I cancelled it and It also was a cashiers check which is untraceable back to my account
    Which is why I did it that way

6. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

....hello Boston....how are things going

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well I'm about to file my complaint with the Oregon attorney generals office, and its likely to take something resembling forever for them to complete an investigation. Once that is complete then I can file suet for contract violations and demand express performance. From there it is a mater of collecting the damages owed due to the failure to perform. In the end its a long ugly road with no guarantees but, I have scowered the web for this type of yacht and in that price range its simply not to be found.

I've pretty much given up on searching for the moment and am focusing on saving up for a prolonged battle. I think I can win it or I wouldn't be taking this rout but deal is I waited two years for a deal like that to come along and I'm not that willing to just let it go without a fight

should be interesting cause a demand of express performance this clown will not be able to meet, he will undoubtedly attempt to pass off some lesser boat as being similar in value and I will then have another legal battle on my hands

its a complete can of worms at this point

cheers
    B

there are several junk Elco's for sale that would take more to rebuild than its worth and there are several old style comuter yachts available cheap that are in the same boat
    so to speak

I may not have a boat but I do have a really good legal case
    might as well pursue it and see were it leads

8. Brian@BNE

Brian@BNE Senior Member

Good luck. Lets hope it goes a lot quicker than you are expecting as there isn't a whole lot to investigate - ie who signed what when

9. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...emmm, nasty stuff poor fella. Yes that boat was really special no doubt about that.

All the best mate.

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

thanks
    my bet is at this point that this idiot thinks he got away with it
    little does he know that there is likely to be a criminal case as well as a civil one
    mater of fact I'm banking on it as that would really solidify my position in the whole thing

either way I dont likely end up with the boat
    sucks but its the way it is

once we establish fault then the question is how to remedy that fault
    he, I'm sure will pick any old rotted tub and present it as fair value
    which he probably has done before
    I will however present pictures of the HP and demand a similarly appointed craft from the same era
    thats were the real battle begins

its not really a question of whether I signed the papers or if I sent off a check
    its a question of what the compensation will be and if its comparable
    I only know of four boats in the seatle area for sale from that time period and none of them have the "charm" of the HP

its ugly but its all I got
    so Im going for it

cheers
    and thanks for asking
    B

11. Brian@BNE

Brian@BNE Senior Member

Hey, he might just prefer to settle out of court to avoid negative publicity once he sees where its heading. And you getting HP being the settlement deal. Keep the dream alive!

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

appreciate the thought but something tells me I will never see or cruse upon the HP
    the realities of the situation are not conducive to my ever actually having this boat in hand and my chances of finding a similarly appointed yacht for that kind of money are dam slim

feeling pretty angry at having been so dishonestly dealt with

not sure how it will work out but I'm not the laying down type

13. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

This is just sort of a random idea off the top of my head, but I wonder if it's possible to sell your interest in the case to someone else for a lump sum. At the end of this whole mess in a year or 5 you will probably end up with not a boat, but rather a check. If you were to get a big chunk of the value of that check now you would have money in the bank and be years closer to a boat.

It also sucks for the other buyer who probably knows nothing about this and is as innocent as you, but is probably going to get drug into this mess as well. On the plus side, he also loves that boat, so you may end up being friends.

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

hmmmm
    that is kinda an interesting idea but I think it raises a few sticky legal issues

15. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Yeah, probably does, but it might be worth asking the question.