not sure what I'm going to do at this point

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Boston, Sep 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There's a lot of things and methods that could be changed or modified. If she was strip planked, she'd loose the look of carvel planking. On the other hand you could cold mold longitudinal veneers over the strips to simulate the carvel planks without the need for regular caulking. In fact, this is a rather common way of doing a modern round bilge.

Propulsion options abound, but realistically you'll want the best, most efficiency diesel you can get or afford. This may mean a rebuilt oldie or a new high RPM machine with a tall gear box.

You could also consider working from a bare 'glass hull, from one of the manufactures. This gives you the maintenance relief of a GRP hull, but all the pretty of the varnished trim, raised panel interiors, etc.

There's lots of ways to go . . .

2. myk

myk Junior Member

There are manufacturers building GRP Elco hulls? Logic would dictate getting one of those and scrounging interior pieces from hulls beyond economical repair, no? What manufacturers are building the GRP Elco hulls?

3. PAR

No one is building an "Elco" hull, but the Elco hull was a fairly common shape and is often used by newer models from different manufactures. The hull would be similar, possibly more efficient, depending on which was chosen.

4. myk

myk Junior Member

Oh ... just when I think I've done my homework I find I've missed out totally on something :) So this opens up a whole bunch of possibilities. Which manufacturers make those style hulls? Mostly what I've seen new up around here (Eastern Ontario, 1000 Islands) are the chunky, wide, high, go fast planing hulls. The only displacement hulls are Grand Banks types and restored woodies. I can't recall ever seeing a modern displacement hull with the general form factor of an Elco.

5. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

This one is under construction now on Long Island, 42' by 10'3". The hull mold will be destroyed shortly if someone doesn't grab it.

Fonneland boat forward.jpg

Fonneland boat aft quarter.jpg

6. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

If I started from scratch ild need to find a complete one for all the hardware

The two I've found so far have been stripped long ago

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Way to go Tad
    Do you have any contact info

9. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

PT boat > History
    If looking for Elco designs best to look at designs of -- Henry R. Sutphen, Irwin Chase, Bill Fleming, and Glenville Tremaine -- I think.

For example, Sun Dog's original hull (LOA 30½', Beam 9', Draft 24½'') was drawn by Bill Fleming.

Sun Dog plans: DuckWorks $ 77.00 US --- and --- D. N. Goodchild - Sun Dog page + Sun Dog (scroll down) 11 pages, 3 plates $ 7.95 US.

Bos, I know you want bigger, so give it a shot for the mentioned designers . . :)

Good Luck!
    Angel

10. myk

myk Junior Member

Very nice Tad! Getting sufficient hardware may require some scrounging but would be much easier I would think than restoring a broken hull. I don't suppose you can say who is building but is it a 'one off' by a professional or a hobbyist?

11. PAR

I've found a 1930 42' Elco in rough but floating condition a few hours south of here. They want next to no money for it, but hardware looks to be still on it. It's worth pulling the hardware and leaving it for the sheriff's sale. This would go a long way toward solving your hardware problem. I also suspect hardware isn't as difficult as you might think.

12. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Yes it is not difficult to find.
    Some minor difficulties, like the period engine control, but beside that, everything can be found, brand new, but period design. Even sliding down crank operated bronze frames window can be found.
    Some company will custom make a period windlass, or can be found of the shelf in Poland.
    Shower and head fitting period style are also easy to find brand new, and real ship light for the interior are off the shelf in some company.
    A company here in the US will introduce the folding sink with the same design of the pre-war style, pump-faucet included and all.
    the only thing I never found is the small cast iron bathtub they usually put in yacht in the twenties. :)
    Nothing difficult to find, it take just money, and a lot of it :D
    Daniel

13. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Never thought the classic boats where so popular, i wouldnt know as i never seen one.
    Would the new technology and materials enable a lighter boat and thus more efficient?

14. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

If you make the boat lighter, you have to either add ballast anyway to make it float on its lines, or change the shape of the hull. If you make it finer or lessen the draft instead, it affects the stability. Redrawing the lines to take care of that starts a chain reaction of changing the accommodations, superstructure and everything else to fit the new hull. And so it goes....

We're back to Phil Bolger's comments about sailing dories: if you start modifying a dory to make it sail better, you eventually wind up with something that isn't a dory at all--which proves that a dory wasn't a good place to start, if you wanted a good sailboat design.

However, updating the construction materials and methods of an Elco design, to make it stronger and more durable but keep the same shape and displacement, might make sense; refer to PAR's earlier comments about frame heel pockets....:D

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Ok so here's what's up
    We are going to file a complaint with the attorney general of the state of Oregon and based on that investigation probably follow it with a breach of contract suit demanding express performance, failure to respond appropriately in that and I will then begin a fraud action.

Anyway that's the big plan

Either way I probably will not end up with that boat