not politics or religion but just plain annoying for no reason...

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by lewisboats, Apr 15, 2012.

1. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

See subject. Stupid fecal matter comments for no reason other than to annoy other folks. Not really wanted!. See the cooking thread below or above or somewhere around here.

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

I don't know what I'm missing but I don't see what you are talking about.

3. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Post #868 in the Cooking Aboard or Outdoors thread.

I personally solved the problem by once again making him the one and only member to grace my Ignore list with his presence; never should've let him off it to begin with.

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

That ignore thing doe'snt seem to be working then does it if you know all about it.

5. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

"Much ado about nothing"

But I also don't care for this type of banter. Most of the time it is not clever enough to be funny.

Troy,

I just like to keep all the "debris" for anything that seems good later. I agree with you.

6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Yep. If you look up stock recipes online, this is how the first one listed on google starts:

And had that been the first time the member being discussed had said something rude and clueless, no one would've even noticed. The problem is that it's fairly typical of his posts lately, no matter what the subject -- especially if he sees a chance to take a swipe at an American, and/or Americans in general.

7. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I have to admit I went and read the big carcass debate.

During the winter, when I make bird based food, I will cook a whole turkey or chicken or pheasant or whatever in the oven, then carve the meat for a meal.

I then put aside some of the meat for soup. To make the soup, I first toss the bones and ligaments in (carcass) and simmer that for the better part of a day. I then strain the bones out the resulting soup stock, which has picked up all the nutrition of the bone marrow, and toss the already cooked chicken meat in the soup stock along with whatever other soup ingredients (tumeric is a VERY important spice for this).

This is how you make good chicken or turkey or whatever bird soup. This is also how you get the most nutrition possible from a soup.

It's no coincidence that chicken soup (made like I do - the ancient, traditional way) is the oldest home remedy for a cold. The nutrients in the marrow are incredible boosters to the immune system and produce a very nutritious meal. A packet of Lipton dried soup crap won't even come close to helping you fight disease (and will probably suppress your immune system with all the junk in it), but a properly make chicken soup (with bone marrow based stock) will go a long way to keeping you healthy and strong.

Some good reading on the subject..

http://www.livestrong.com/article/337123-bone-soup-nutrition/

http://www.jadeinstitute.com/jade/bone-broth-health-building.php

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_259-260/ai_n10299306/

The human body evolved a long time ago. Back in those days, we probably would have been eating even the beaks from hunger. We are evolved to eat whole animals, where safe to do so. We are also evolved to eat mostly vegetables and other things you would find laying around the land, then, only after quite a workout, eat some bit of animal you may have been lucky enough to have caught that day.

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Banter is what keeps the regulars here, well regular. There isn't a person here, I haven't offended, pissed off or just plain old disagreed with my comments vigorously. This is the nature of people in groups, especially knowledgeable ones. If you say "everyone puts their paints on one leg at a time", I'll be one of the first to point out I do both at the same time and Frosty will likely be right behind me, if he doesn't beat me to it.

It's very easy to not see a tongue wagging at the screen, as the text is posted, so interpretations are bound to get mixed reviews. It's important to have a sterile view of on line discussions, or you'll go insane. I don't have anyone on my "ignore list" (though I imagine I'm on a few) and I suspect this will remain true. Some of us are more lively than others, but it's necessary to pass over the adjectives and look at the root sentence structure, most of the time.

As far as chicken preparation, well this isn't a particular area of expertise for me. To me, cooking is an alien thing, consummated by folks more powerful than me. I've never had a wish to learn how and having fine cooks as the other half has just reinforced my inabilities in this regard. In my kitchen, I'm literally not allowed to do certain things and she has her reasons for these well earned stipulations.

9. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Jolly well said.

You say POtato i say poTAto...so what?

If I am told to go left, I shall go right...even if it is the wrong direction in which I wish to go!

If you don't like people with differing views (this includes facts and quantitative facts on the actual technical side of the forum rather than opine side) to your own and whom are not afraid or bashful to say so to you directly, then Internet web-forums are not for you.

1 person likes this.
  10. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I regularly deal with people whose views differ from mine (if you don't believe me, try being a registered Democrat, owning a gun forum and talking politics). We get heated sometimes, but we understand we're having a discussion.

That's hardly the same as putting up with someone who deliberately searches for something to say that will offend you, no matter how inoffensive the original subject of the thread may have been.

I can't think of many people who could get an entire string of obnoxious, clueless posts out of attacking people who make stock from carcasses and use it as a base for soup, the same way it's been done all over the world since pots were invented.

And while I'll admit that takes a special talent, it isn't a talent I admire or enjoy. Therefore, Frosty will remain on my Ignore list from now 'til hell freezes over. He isn't a relative, an in-law, a neighbor or a co-worker, and I see no reason to put up with him.

11. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

If you think that a person is offending you, then you need to address why they offend you and in what way, then how concerned are you about it and is it worth replying if you feel offended anyway.

I always take the position as if I have met a stranger at the bar in a pub. I listen to what they have to say and either I like what I hear or I don’t. If I don’t I need to address what is it about it that I do not like and why, and then if it is worth a reply and in what way to reply.

However, if you feel that the person at the bar constantly nags at you, for whatever reason, you are not compelled to stay at the bar to listen to them. If you feel... “I have as much right to be here as they”…then that’s when it gets messy. Since they are also taking the same position, thus why should yours “rights” trump theirs? Taking a monopoly on such a position and exerting such a position on others is only going in one direction and with one outcome!

If you’re unsure on monopolising a position whist attempting to take an unbiased position, this is an example of one:

Every conversation you have, in whatever format and location is of your choosing, no one is forcing you to continue, other than your own pride. If you don’t like what you hear, you can elect to no longer listen to it or counter directly to them why you don’t, and accept the consequences of such intervention. Whatever path you take, and for whatever reason, shall influence your outcome and your response.

But if you wish to choose a path that is a well trodden one with a well known destination, familiar sights on the way, others applauding you on your trail the journey is somewhat dull, predictable and boring. Hardly a journey at all...

12. PAR

For those that have Frosty on the "ignore list" you've missed a post he's made in the last few hours, of an id on an old outdrive leg. He was the first reply and nailed it without any fuss or entertainment value, which was a little disappointing, if only to me.

Cat, I've pissed you off more than once, probably enough to make you take a break from the forum. Steve I've been on you "I love to meet him in a dark ally with a baseball bat" list more than once, right? I can't remember when, but I'm pretty sure I've managed to tick off Troy and possably John as well.

It's all a matter of perspective. It's best to not have any. No memory of previous posts, misread or misunderstood replies, general opinions of posters, etc. I've seen simple translation issues, make some sound like they're on fire, when all they really are is annoyed. Google Translate can really screw up the more colorful and descriptive adjectives, substituting things they never intended to be conveyed. This is why you have to gloss over the adjectives or syntax as I mentioned previously. I generally try reasonably hard to run spell check and read over what I've just typed, to see if it's what I want and where I wanted to go, but many just type and post, punctuation be damned, grammar, oh please and voice inflections can't be emphasized without skillful writing. None of us are going to nail down a best seller in the next few years, so take it for what it's worth and skip the rest. The real question one should ask is, "do I really need this outlet?".

13. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Taking public exception to a post that offends is one of the checks and balances in this forum.

I have realized from other's posts that I was offensive, trivial, or just plain silly.

But this has gone on too long.

I like chicken soup, what does that have to do with boats?

How do you cancel a subscription to a thread?

14. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

As PAR said, Frosty gets it right often enough not to put him on the ignore list. The rest of the time, especially this month, he seems to be speaking through his cloaca. Maybe egg-bound?

Pray for him.

15. PAR

The "User CP" button in the upper lefthand corner, in the title bar.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.