not clear deterioration of the hull needs help

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Malysh, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Malysh

Malysh Junior Member

I bought a yacht and want to make a repair with a new painting.
    advise how to correct and better to repair such damage. and why they might appear?

Attached Files:

2. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Do you know what type of paint you have on there now? It doesn't look like hull damage to me, just issues with the existing paint job.

The first two photos don't seem to indicate any issues to me, but look like an ablative paint that has started to see better days. This just happens over time from water flowing over the hull. As the paint sloughs off it creates these little fissures and holes. It's not really a problem, it just means the paint is past it's lifespan.

The third picture I think is the paint drying out and cracking. Again, ablaitive bottoms can only spend so much time out of the water before they dry and flake off. I think this is what I am seeing here. The only solution is to keep the boat in the water more.

There isn't really a solution to either of these issues except a new bottom job, and in a few years it will be time to do it again. You could put on a hard bottom instead which will give better performance, but they don't work as well at preventing growth.

3. Malysh

Malysh Junior Member

Boat 2 years was no longer in the water.
    Bottom as I was told it was purified by sodablaster.
    Photo 3 is above the waterline.
    I have to remove it completely to paint again?
    I can not putty or something that the bottom front of the new painting? or we need to remove all surface deep?

4. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Malysh,

I am not sure what you are saying sorry?

If picture 3 is above the water line then it would be gel coat crazing. This is assuming the boat has gel coat of course. If so, then the repair is pretty straitfrward, but takes a good bit of work. Sand it off, and either repaint the boat, or re-gel coat it. There are a lot of threads on how to do this here, or online.

5. Malysh

Malysh Junior Member

On top of that I understand this is not scary and not difficult.
    but the lower part scares me a photo 1 and 2.
    I apologize for my bad english

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I hope you got a good price, because that's an expensive fix if done professionally. Can I assume you didn't have the boat professionally inspected, prior to purchase? What did the owner say, the yard manager, the previous survey?

7. Malysh

Malysh Junior Member

This boat did not have an inspection and was bought for 2900.
    I examined her after the purchase.
    I want to do repairs yourself.
    I think to apply electric planer to remove the damaged layer.
    then start painting INTERLUX
    InterProtect ® 2000E Barrier Coat System
    and then apply paint
    All materyaly plan to use only company INTERLUX

8. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Malysh, are these photos of the 1969 30' Pearson Wanderer?

Where exactly is photo #3 on the boat? I thought I was looking at bottom paint dried and cracked but now I'm not sure. It's easier to see something like this in person when a boat has been painted and repainted many times.

9. Malysh

Malysh Junior Member

yes 1969 30' Pearson Wanderer i buy this boat on Ebay

3 photos done over the place which is shown in Photo 1 and 2.
    but this state evenly throughout the body

Attached Files:

10. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

..it tends to look like chlorinated rubber, done rather poorly with a roller....

11. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you remove the gel coat, you'll have to put gel coat or some other type of barrier coating back on the mat. Removing the gel coat is a difficult and expensive process, if you want it done properly. You can do it yourself, but judging by your experience level, you'd be best advised to seek professional assistance.

The different brands of barrier coat all work well. The problem is getting the film thickness, which often gets short cutted because of cost and effort to apply. This is the worst mistake you can make. The bottom line is you need film thickness for this technique to work, say about 20 mils, then you can paint it. If you have much fairing to do (you can bet on it), this 20 mil requirement needs to be in the thinnest areas (the high spots) on the hull.

You can use a regular hand power plane on the hull, which will remove the gel coat. You'll have to sharpen the blades after every 10' sweep on the plane, assuming they haven't broken in the process, but you'll eventually work. The results will be a hodgepodge of various depth strips all over the hull, meaning you'll be fairing this girl for many, many hours (read gallons of fairing compound) before sealing and painting.

In all honesty, you'd probably be better off with a 7" or 9" grinder and an aggressive grit pad. This will be much more forgiving then a planner and you can control the depth and fairness of the process much easier too.

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A planer will cut right through the laminate unless you are very skilled and knowledgeable. A grinder, as PAR says is much safer. If the photo is of the bottom paint and not gelcoat, it is only a matter of sanding or stripping it (better) and repainting.

13. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Dear oh dear what a mess !!

I looked at this a couple of days ago and have been thinking about it ever since !! :idea:
    Its had a bad layer of glass put over the origanal hull ( maybe The hull was damaged underneith what you can see ) The first picture sort of gave it away as its up to where the boot top line is .and shows glass that not had enough resin to fill the weave
    The second picture shows roller marks of excessive paint and really bad laminating thats never had enough resin on it (could have used epoxy maybe )
    The paint used could also be acrylc and done with a paint roller roller to try and fill the glass weave .
    The third picture is typical excessive amount of paint over the surface thats mud cracked !! even gel coat will do the same over time but looking at the the ways its peeling it could be just paint .
    Only way is to completely grind it back to the origanal glass/gelcoat underneith .
    If you take a chisel to the very top edge of the surface layer of glass it just could simply peel off maybe ,if its epoxy could take a little force to get it away and maynot be stuck all that well !! :eek:
    I would also get inside the boat and do some really close inspection of the whole of the inside from stem to stern specially the bottom areas look for damaged glass ,like as in hit the rocks type damage .:mad:
    Its possibly had inside repairs done as well and been painted over to hide and try to seal the water from seeping through from the outside .
    Not to say that if you get the outside glass off it could reveil what hidden beneith and may not be as bad as i thing it could be . You do not want to pay very much for the boat if you still want to carry on with it . :(

14. Malysh

Malysh Junior Member

Thank you all.
    I will on Wednesday be able to scratch with, and make more pictures.
    then I'll write more and add a photo.

15. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

I think we are naturally assuming its a glass boat but with a hard chine so to speak is it Plywood ?? :?:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.