Not another Boat! Ahhhhh!

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by flydog, Dec 1, 2009.

1. flydog

flydog Junior Member

Hello again friends!

I was here a few years ago when I was building my 12ft lapstrake sailing dingy. You all were so helpful and encouraging. Well, I've decided to do it again. This time the project is a 14ft strip-built kayak. The progress so far is cutting the cedar strips, my finger on the table saw:eek: , and today I cut out the forms.

I'll be sure to keep up the postings as I'm sure I'll have questions.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Now you can start routing the strips into bead and cove strips. Ripping and routing is the least gratifying part of strip building. All those sticks and all that sawdust does not look at all like a boat. When you get the forms in place, on a strongback, and then bend a few strips around the sheer locations the project takes on a life of its' own. It actually resembles a boat at that point.

Hang in there and keep your fingers clear of the saw blade and the router bits. Shortened fingers are most undesireable. Ask me how I know that to be true.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.