Help on thunderbird boat

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by michaels, Aug 6, 2010.

1. michaels

michaels New Member

Hi.
    I need help from some who can give me their opinion on buying a 1965 thunderbird tri-hull. I do not know anything about boats but I have always wanted to have one.
    This boat appears to structurally sound. It has a windshield which is in good shape and a railing around the front/bow. The inside is completely gutted which exposes the bottom which appears to be solid.
    The boat is 17 ft (?) and comes with a two axle trailer (good shape).
    The boat has an outboard 115 Evenrude motor which only has 8 hours since it was last rebuilt. The boat and motor has not been used in some time.
    The flywheel is free and not locked up.
    I also would like to know how I can identify what type of thunderbird it is.

I can get all the above for $250.00. Is that a good deal???

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Have a blessed day.

2. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

I don't know anything about the boat except that you could part it out for well over $250. The trailer is worth more than that! Jump on it.

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Concur. The trailer is the guaranteed bonus. But don't throw good money away on the hull just because you did well on the trailer. There are a lot of good hulls out there that would save you weeks of hard work. Look for rotton areas such as the transom and the stringers. Most old "deals" look fine on the surface but they have little original strength due to water eventually having gotten into the glassed-in wooden parts.

4. michaels

michaels New Member

Thank you for the help. Do you know how I can find out what type thunderbird it is? I really would like to work on the boat and make it as close to original as possible and use for my own personal use . I know it will be alot of work, but I would like to do it as threapy (if you know what I mean).
    Thanks again. Have a blessed day.

5. Ike

Ike Senior Member

6. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

Sounds weird, but keep an eye on eBay. Sellers of some oddball items will provide tons of history and details in their item descriptions.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.