shoal oar prototype

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by river runner, Aug 19, 2011.

1. river runner

river runner baker

Maybe I'm beating a dead horse, but there still seemed to be a lot of confusion about the purpose of my oar blade design, even after two posts and a sketch. The purpose of my design is to get more blade area in the water when the water is shallow. People that might find this useful are rafters and fishermen. This design isn't inteded for sculling or any other high performance application, but I did want to emphasize that these blades will work as good or better than standard rafting blades in deeper water.
    At the bottom there should be a photo of my first attempt at a prototype. It is made from a Carlisle oversized blade and I think I was too concerned with aesthetics and not enough with function. I'm sure I'll do some more work on it. Also, starting with an existing blade is not ideal. But even this prototype should have a significant advantage, over stock blades, in shallow water.

Attached Files:

2. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I'd consider adding a rubber lip along the bottom edge.

Those plastic paddle blades crack and break pretty easy on rocks.

Plus, with an oar's arc, it wont be just a straight 'spiking' or poling on the bottom, but likely a movement over a bunch of rocks.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.