Northwest 21 Trailerable Yacht

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Duker515, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Alan & Joy

Alan & Joy New Member

help - a leak at the swing keel

Hello, we are new to the forum and need some advise. We have a Northwest 21' - not sure of date, possibly 1976 or a little earlier. This is the second one we've owned. We purchased this one in Vancouver, BC and took it out of the water, trailered it home to the prairies, stored it for the winter. The following spring we put it in a lake and sailed all summer, no problems. Last summer we kept it out, so it has been out of the water a year now. Launched the boat yesterday - all seemed to go well, but today, 24 hours later there appears to be a leak - seems to be coming from around the swing keel area - about 5" in the deepest part. My husband felt around to try and find the source, but really isn't sure. Tomorrow we plan to pull out the boat again and check the hull - any ideas about the keel - not sure how it is fastened or where the leak could be coming from - and then what to do.
    Thanks, Alan and Joy

2. SailingDave

SailingDave Junior Member

Another source of help

This Northwest 21 forum seems fairly inactive. I recently purchased a 1976 boat and almost have it ready for the water. I found another Northwest forum that is much more active. You could probably find advice there. I've gotten good information there. It is: http://groups.msn.com/northwest21

3. mcphrsndn

mcphrsndn New Member

Trailer question

I just located this site and noticed that many of you have swing keel versions of the "21". Have you found the need to have a trailer hitch extension for your trailer when launching? I am about to put a new trailer under my swing keel model and was wondering if that would keep my truck dry?

4. SailingDave

Hi:
    Check link in my previous post. More life there. You'll be mighty old before you get much response here. The other forum has several active posters.

I just finished rewiring and plumbing mine today. Haven't had it in the water yet so can't say much about launching. My trailer came with about a 10' tongue extension and my boat sits as low as it can without losing the rudder.

But most on the other forum are swing keels too, so I'm sure they could give you some advice.

Dave

5. sonosail

sonosail SONOSAIL

Northwest 21

There is a boat lying around near me that looks like it might be one of these.
    It has a hull to deck joint that looks something like the smaller Lancers, (the joint itself has a different sheer line than the actual deck sheer line.
    I was wondering if you could send send me a copy of one of these brochures.
    Much appreciated.
    randyfromsono@gmail.com

6. LandOfHonalee

LandOfHonalee New Member

Need more specs on the NW21

Well the forum may be dwindling, but its not dead yet!
    I recently was given a northwest 21 fixed keel that needs a lot of help. I'm replacing her windows to start because all but one are cracked, and she needs a new paint job inside and out. Plus a good scrubbing!
    I don't think the mast she has is the original because it looks very short, so i wanted to know if anyone knows the proper size mast these take?

She has had a lot of new pieces added to her but left half done so I'm also trying to figure out what is new and what is supposed to be there. Any of your guy's pictures would be of great help for referencing. I checked out Slacktide's and a few others, if I can get a copy of the original brochure sent to me that would be awesome too!
    Also, where would I find the hull stamp number?

7. SailingDave

I just posted some photos of my boat. Got it a couple months ago. Rebuilt the trailer and did plumbing and rewiring to the boat. Just about ready to launch it.

I have the swing keel and my mast is 24 ft. Think the fixed were longer.
    Interiors seem to vary some. Mine has a bulkhead next to the forward bunk, have seen others with none or half of one. Otherwise some just have more woodwork over the galley sink. I will probably redo mine at some point. 30 years of wear and modifications have degraded it. But want to make sure it sails before I go too crazy.

Spent many days buffing out the hull. It darkened and made it look a lot better. It had looked like it had 30 years of oxidation. Saved me painting it.

I can't find the hull number on mine. Can't be in too visible a place, as I have seen most of the boat while buffing, plumbing and wiring.

Good luck with yours.
    Dave

8. LandOfHonalee

LandOfHonalee New Member

thanks

Thanks for the images, they are inspiring! Though I can see that my poor little boat is in need of some major work on the interior! She has practically been gutted (but they didn't take the kitchen sink). I don't suppose you know what style toilet these take and where to find them? they are an odd shape and high up, all i can figure is a custom made one...
    The buffing did make a big difference to the color on yours, looks nice! I still haven't decide on what I'll be painting mine, but that will be on the end of the list of things to do since she is in the water and I don't have a trailer for her. I'm thinking orange so I can call her the "magic pumpkin" since these are such fat little boats!
    As for the mast, I think I may have a swinging-keel size mast, I'll have to look into a larger one but its good to know that this one will work for now.
    thanks again!:)

9. SailingDave

Mine just has a porta-poti that sits on the fiberglass shelf in the head.

They had a few variations for the boat. I know another person whose came with wheel steering and an inboard diesel.

Dave

10. Slimdog

Slimdog New Member

Any one still use this thread?

I just bought a northwest 21' from a guy in Vancouver BC.

I would like some info and would like to share some pixs.

Steve

11. SailingDave

Not much action on this thread.
    I would suggest the following. You can get a response to most any question and many photos.

http://northwest21.multiply.com/

Dave

12. colleen77

colleen77 New Member

in need of help

hi im looking at buying a northwest 21 does any one know the value of a fair conditioned one .

Thanks for the help

colleen

13. colleen77

colleen77 New Member

help help

im looking at buying a northwest 21 tomorrow in fair condition i was wondering if any one had any advice of the value of them thanks collleen

14. Slimdog

Slimdog New Member

just bought one in good condition with a trailer and an outboard for $6000
    Canadian.

Also just saw one on craigslist here in Vancouver BC for about $3000 i think.

If you go to the northwest21.multiply.com I posted a link.

S

15. Slimdog

Slimdog New Member

sorry was $4000

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.