Northwest 21 Trailerable Yacht

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Duker515, Mar 15, 2005.

1. slacktide

slacktide Junior Member

Ooops, I forgot Rustyone, yours is a fixed keel. :(

2. DNelson

DNelson Junior Member

By the way, I did find some pics of my last NW21, the green hull. The interior shots are not great but you get the idea. They are in gallery. Click on my name then select gallery

3. slacktide

slacktide Junior Member

Looks great. It's uncanny how similar it looks to mine, color and all.
    Thanks.

4. grampianman

grampianman Junior Member

Short tiller

I made a new tiller and shortened it by about 12 inches on my Grampian 23 and it makes a big difference in moving about in the cockpit. It's great for short tacking on the river and if I want to singlehand out into the Gulf of Mexico, I just attach the original long tiller. I also was glad to have a backup tiller one day when the new tiller broke while I was sailing. I had made a test tiller out of pine just to see if being shorter affected the sailing and when it worked, I just kept the tiller in place. Well, with all the summer rains, the wood rotted in the boltholes and 'SNAP'! As an aside, it's amazing how fast one can react in an emergency.

Cheers,
    Ian
    Grampian-23, Wing & a Prayer

5. rustyone

rustyone Junior Member

hi guys..lets keep the info flowing..anyone have an idea what the 21s sold for new???

6. Skomalt

Skomalt New Member

raising mast

I use a gin pole. which is made from 2 pieces of wood, I use a 2by2 about 10 feet long(the distance from the mast to the bow) tied at the top with the main sheet block attached. The mast sits aft on an extention attached to the rudder gudgeons to lift it above the hatch(I use the same extention to keep the mast above the cabin top when trailering,.I use the main sheet and run the line from a bloch at the bow back to the winch on the cabin top. It should also go through the genoa block to keep it from overriding on the winch. The "A" frame-gin pole sits jammed into the front of the shroud turn buckles and sits straight up at a 90 degree to the mast. The top is attached to the top of the mast with another line. One then just cranks the winch and the mast rises up . One needs to watch the shrouds and back stay to make sure they don't catch anything and don't bend the turnbuckles When the gin pole is near the bow one goes foreward and attaches the foreward stay to the turnbukle.Simple! To take it down the reverse is done.
    I have also used the same system with a 31 ft boat but with additioal lines to keep the mast from falling over. Good luck Skomalt

7. DNelson

DNelson Junior Member

NW 21 Price New

The basic boat price new was $6995. That included most everything. You paid more for a yanmar diesel of course. I have the sales brochure in .pdf format if anyone else wants to see it.

8. rustyone

rustyone Junior Member

thanks

that has been one of my early questions thanks for answering..it seems a lot of boat for the money..id love a copy of the sales brochure if you coudl emai lme one..later...floyd

9. slacktide

slacktide Junior Member

hello all.
    Well I got all the barancles of the hull and swing keel and ready for bottom paint.
    While under the boat I noticed that in the swing keel trunk, there apears to be a crack or seperation inbetwwen the outside and the inside of the trunk. It is a little difficult to describe. I placed or will upload some photos shortly.
    If anyone can give me some feedback on this I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks.

10. rustyone

rustyone Junior Member

reply for leaking centerboard trunk

ive not seen the construction of the trunk on a nw 21..however from owning a y-flyer id say it has seperated where the trunk attaches to the hull..id work fom inside the boat to the well and replace glass..then wood..or foam and then inside the boat..ive read where they try and glass insde the slot for the board and taht doesnt seem too..eerrr...impressive..but it will be a lot work regardleas..let me know how yo uare doing..any pics yet???

11. rustyone

rustyone Junior Member

hi..and thanks for the info.id love it if you could email me the brochure for the nw21..thanks as always floyd

12. slacktide

slacktide Junior Member

Hello.
    When viewing it from underneath, it appears as if there is the main trunk which is very solid.than concrete ballast and than a thin fiberglass lining. This "lining" is what appears to have sepperated or something. From inside the trunk and all seems well. I have uploaded some pictures.

13. rustyone

rustyone Junior Member

hi all..been quiet in here lately..one area of the northwest i dont care for is the mast..mine is a low profile with the spreaders run thru holes drilled in the mast..how are the masts done on other boats..any input??

14. tlker4ever

tlker4ever New Member

Norwest 21 foot retractable keel

Our family bought and refurbished "Sojourner" a Norwest 21' retractable keel sloop. It has been a joyful project. I request a digital copy of the brochure and other information including the boat review mentioned in the thread. Please sent it to tlker4ever@aol dot com. We are in New Mexico and have used the boat on fresh water lakes. My son and I were caught in a storm during the governor's cup race which resulted in six foot waves, broken masts and other serious problems for sail boats. Our Norwest did fine. I would like to do coastal sailing in the Sea of Cortez by Mulage, San Carlos, Kino Bay and Loretto. A friend told me not to dare to use my retractable keel Norwest in the Gulf of California as it could easily capsize and sink. I tend to trust the boat. It is beamy, slow, but very stable. I solicit comments from those more experienced than I. Thanks. TLK.

15. SailingDave

SailingDave Junior Member

I just bought a Northwest 21 retractable off ebay. Pick it up tomorrow. I have a copy of the review magazine.
    We just plan to use ours on Lake Tahoe. May have some questions as I refurbish ours.
    Dave

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.