Northwest 21 Trailerable Yacht

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Duker515, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Duker515

Duker515 Junior Member

Nw 21 Info

Nice to hear from you, Rustyone...

I'm beginning to think, I may be the only guy outside Washington-Oregon that owns a NW 21. I'll let you all know how it does in our lighter winds in the Gulf and Caribbean...it is a very windward craft with its bulky above-waterline hull. It's hell to trailer in strong winds, I can tell you that...but, what a great cruiser and it takes medium slow seas very nicely.

Once again, I've got design plans, but need manufacturing plans/prints that anyone may have available for the short-rigged NW21 with retractable keel.

Hey - has anyone of you tried shortening your tiller because of the limited space in the cockpit? I may try that...

Duke Boutwell
    Seminole, 1976
    duker515@cox.net
    Pensacola, FL

2. slacktide

slacktide Junior Member

Actually Brandlmayr was the designer for the North-West 21 which was built in North Vancouver. This is a different NW (I believe)than the one we are all discussing which was built in Bremerton Washinton or so. And Designed by a Mr Lundy.
    I owned a North Vancouver built NW21 in the early 90s, and it was a completely different vessel. I have old photos of this boat and could have them scanned if one needs to see them.
    Cheers.

3. slacktide

slacktide Junior Member

Hey Rustyone, I would love to have any info you may have.
    Half the fun of owning a boat is knowing it's history and all things technical about it. My e-mail address is rbyzitter@frontierpower.com.
    Cheers.

4. slacktide

slacktide Junior Member

My NW21 has a outboard tiller/rudder.
    Me thinks the last owner did this. He also put a outboard well where the tiller used to be.

5. Duker515

Duker515 Junior Member

NW 21 info

Well - that would clear up a lot of questions...I would love to see any photos of that to determine if it is, in fact, a different vessel than what I have.

Neat...
    Duke

6. slacktide

slacktide Junior Member

No problem.
    I posted a couple of pictures in the photo gallery of this web site....I'm just not sure where they ended up.......But they are there somewhere as I received an notification saying they uploaded.....:)
    Cheers.

7. slacktide

slacktide Junior Member

Hello Duker.
    Would you be able to shoot me a copy of the plans you have? I would love to see them.
    Cheers

8. DNelson

DNelson Junior Member

Slacktides Pictures

You can see the pictures you posted by clicking on your name and then selecting your gallery.
    Nice pics. The outboard tiller is definately a change by a previous owner. I suspect you can still see where the original rudder post went through the cockpit sole.
    By the way, the color of your boat is the same as the last one I owned. I am having trouble finding the electronic pictures of my green one but will post when I do.

9. slacktide

slacktide Junior Member

Hello.
    Thanks I now see them.
    I have a lot more of them. So if needed I can post more. No, there is no indication of a rudder post. I suspect it may have been where the outboard well is now.
    Thanks.

10. rustyone

rustyone Junior Member

i just replaced the keel boats on my 1976 nw21..if anyone has any questions on how i did it let me know..i love these boas and am very happy to see such interest in them..later

11. Duker515

Duker515 Junior Member

Nw 21 Info

tell us...tell us...

Duke

12. rustyone

rustyone Junior Member

my boat has a fixed keel..i cut a square hole under the table and built a cabinet to sit in the hole..more storage..after that i drilled a 1/2 inch hole into the bilge about 2 inches from the original keel bolts..which i left. i welded a long drill bit up and drilled a 27/64s hole 14 inches into the keel..i then screwed in two 18 inch pieces of threaded bronze rod..caulked a piece of small cord with butyl rubber and tightened down..the proces is i believe called sistering...floyd

13. rustyone

rustyone Junior Member

hello all..i also have changed the galley area somewhat..i turned sink 90 degrees and cut a hole and installed a coleman ice chest and then filled area around it to make a top loading icebox..my boat didnt have a stove so i have a campingstove that fits into slots on a plywood board that sits over the sink...anyone needs more info let me know and ill get pics and stuff

14. Duker515

Duker515 Junior Member

Nw 21 Stuff

...show us...show us...

Duke

15. slacktide

slacktide Junior Member

Hello Rustyone.
    I would love to see pictures or get a description of how you did the swing keel bolts as I would like to do mine.
    Yes, I to think they are a great boat. Just a bit large for my trailer but otherwise great.
    I just installed a auto bilge pump (under the galley), did some rewiring and replaced all the halyards on the weekend.
    Cheers.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.