Northwest 21 Trailerable Yacht

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Duker515, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Duker515

Duker515 Junior Member

I am looking for information on and other owners of the 21-foot Northwest Trailerable Yacht. I have recently come to own this awesome sailing craft. I plan to re-fit from the bottom up. I know very little about it's manufacturing history and am striking out on Internet searches. I believe the keel was lain in 1976 in Portland, Oregon and someone has told me only 24 were manufactured. It has a 750-lb retractable keel. I would appreciate any info or direction. I am a novice sailor at the first order of magnitude (but do not plan to be for very long) and am terribly intimidated by the brilliance displayed in the other threads...thanks in advance, Duke Boutwell, Pensacola, Florida

2. grampianman

grampianman Junior Member

Info on the Northwest 21

Hello Duke,
    I did a cut and paste from a website for the Small Craft Advisor in Washington state. As you can see, they have done a review of your boat. Give them a ring and see if you can get an issue.

Cheers,
    Ian
    Wing & a Prayer, 1973 Grampian 23

Jan/Feb 2005 Issue # 31

Article: Can You Cope With Fog?
    Article: Capt'n Pauley: Fix Rusty Keels
    Article: Hugh Horton: Killbear Canoe Rendezvous
    Article: Bill Mantis: 120 sq ft Gaff Rig
    Article: Catboat Trawler Conversion
    Article: M3 Experimental Trimaran
    Article: Small Craft Festival
    Article: Chubby’s Pacific Coast Odyssey 4
    Article: Places to Sail: Marquesas Keys
    Article: Convert Potter 15 to Lateen
    Boat Review: Northwest 21
    Plan Study: Arch Davis' Laughing Gull
    Columns

SMALL CRAFT ADVISOR PO BOX 1343, PORT TOWNSEND, WA 98368 - 360-379-1930

3. Duker515

Duker515 Junior Member

Brother - you are my champion...I did and they are...thanks... :cool:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  4. slacktide

slacktide Junior Member

Northwest 21

Hi, I also have a Northwest 21. I am looking for info on a "proper" way to raise and lower the mast safely. If you like I have some info you may like. Original sales brochure, etc. :)

5. Duker515

Duker515 Junior Member

Well...hi backatcha...obviously you're asking about safely lowering and raising the mast solo...disconnect the forward stay, attach a line and wrap around the bow pulpit railing (as a cinch), then lower the mast slowly by playing out the line. To raise solo, take a long line, attach to forward stay, wrap around the bow pulpit, move to the stern and lift mast with one hand (you'll have to stand on the seat, etc.) while bringing the line taut and cinching with the line in the other hand. Once you get it to 45 degrees, it can be pulled on up to vertical and you can secure the forward stay. Piece of cake...

If you don't want to post your personal contact info on the open forum, I am at duker515@cox.net. Thanks...looking forward to further communique' regarding the materials you have to share. Thanks in advance...
    Duke Boutwell

6. slacktide

slacktide Junior Member

Northwest 21

Cool, thanks for the reply.
    I assume you have actually tried this? I ask because it apears as if the side stays will go tight before the mast goes far from vertical.
    I have the taller rig also.
    Cheers.

7. slacktide

slacktide Junior Member

I just sent the original sales brochure to the e-mail address you suplied. It was in a PDF format.
    Cheers.

8. Duker515

Duker515 Junior Member

Thanks...Duke

9. Duker515

Duker515 Junior Member

The safest way is to have two 25 yr old deck hands do it while you supervise. Yes, have done it many times...like tomorrow morning when I trailer the boat and relocate to my backyard for refit :D . Thanks for the brochure.

Duke

10. DNelson

DNelson Junior Member

NW 21 Info

Hi,
    I was reading your posts on the Northwest 21 with interest as I have owned two of these great boats, both tall rigs with fixed keels. The original sales brochure is my boat and me sailing it back in 1976 in Port Orchard, Wa. The sail number says #45 on it, but the hull number was actually #36 and the hull was red. The boats were built in Gorst, WA. The company made some 18' Daysailers, somewhere around 70 of the 21s, a very few 28's and also a few 38's that were based on the Buchan 38 design.
    There were a few different models of the 21 built including swing keel with short rig, fixed keel with short rig, and fixed keel with tall rig. Most of them are outboard powered, but I have seen at least one that had a single cylinder diesel for power.
    We formed a NW 21 association during those years of which I was President for awhile. We had some fun rendevous' at Blake Island and down in Quartermaster Harbor on Vashon Island with as many as 10 boats participating.
    The first one I owned was brand new, but the second one (purchased in 1995) was in need of a full restoration which we accomplished and the hull was green.
    I do have the original brochure if someone wants a scan of it and can probably answer questions if you have any.
    I see someone asked about taking down the mast. If you notice on the front of the masts there is a fitting that the boom fits in to provide a Gin Pole type arrangement for lowering the mast (including the tall rigs) with a line back to a winch to lower it slowly. You still need some able help to bring it down safely.
    I sold my last one 3 years ago (it was in Poulsbo last I saw it) and moved on to a larger boat, but these are wonderful craft with lots of room for a 21 and sail great in light air.
    BTW, all locations mentioned in this post are in the state of Washington

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  11. slacktide

slacktide Junior Member

Wow, Thanks for the reply.
    Yes, I would love to get any info you may have. This boat is a project between my 19 year old son and myself. It is presently in my driveway (on a way to small trailer) as we do a "quick restore" on it. It is a tall rig with a swing keel, full head with the vanity sink(?). We are very anxious to get it into the water for a spring/summer of sailing and probably finish working on it next winter.
    One of my questions would be, how does the swing keel "pivot" mechanism work" I see it seems to up in the trunk and not accessablr from either the inside or outside. I would like to replace the cable and service the pivot.
    I am not sure what year or where in the production mine was. My hull is stamped NYC210731276.

Thanks again.

12. Duker515

Duker515 Junior Member

:) Awesome - some great responses here. Especially enjoyed reading your post, Mr. Nelson. I, as is Slacktide, am restoring my NW 21 from the keel up. I am concerned about replacing my swing keel cable and replacing the winch, without having to cut out the keel well. I suspect it will be unavoidable, however. Two weeks ago, I sailed, under jib only, in heavy winds (twenty-plus knots and 3-5 foot chop) the fifteen miles from the river marina, where my boat sunk during Hurricane Ivan (twenty-four foot tidal surge), still connected to the mooring lines. I discovered I was taking on a lot of water through the keel well. I'm pretty sure I am going to have to re-do the well anyway, so I'll just have to reverse-engineer it. Hand bailing the cabin while under sail in rough seas is interesting. I got it trailered, though. I had to sail it to a deepwater ramp, because my winch cable broke in the 'cane and had to float it over my extended deep-water trailer to get it on. Hope I don't have to do it again...

Like Slacktide, I have mine parked in my driveway for making seaworthy, again. Mine was number 24 of the swing-keel, short-rig version (30-ft mast clearance above the waterline). I have tracked down and contacted the original designer's son and hope to purchase a copy of their original design plans. Unlike Slacktide, I have extensive refit to accomplish before I'm putting it back in the water. Hopefully, by late summer, just in time for hurricane season...<grin>

Duke Boutwell
    Seminole
    Pensacola, FL

13. DNelson

DNelson Junior Member

Nw 21

Hi Slacktide,
    Your boat's ID number tells me that the boat was built in December of 1976 and is hull #73. I am afraid I cannot help with the swing keel as I never had one, but sounds like Duker515 is on the right track in contacting the designers son. The designer was a man named Gary Lundy.
    I have a friend who very recently bought a NW 28 and just got back from the San Juan Islands with it. He said it sailed wonderfully. I was glad to hear that. He was told that they only made 5 of that size. I have personally seen 4 of them so not sure.
    Will help in any way I can. Good Luck.

14. Duker515

Duker515 Junior Member

Nw 21

The original designer of the NW 21 was a Brandlmayr (dec.). I am in contact with his son, Grant Brandlmayr of Vancouver, British Columbia. I am very interested in any contact info you may have for Mr. Lundy, in hopes of finding original manufacturing plans and specifications, prints, etc.
    r/Duke (Seminole)

15. rustyone

rustyone Junior Member

northwest 21

hello..i own a 1976 norwest 21..i know of them up to 1980...email me and ill send you some info..what questions do you have..i have some info..ill try to help.as i understand it they were manufactured near bremerton washington .more later floyd/springfield, or

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.