Northeast Saltwater Fly Fishing dory/Skiff

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by sirfisholata, Nov 11, 2006.

1. sirfisholata

sirfisholata New Member

O.K. guys I ahve never built a wooden boat before. I was wondering if any one could recomend any plans or ideas on what kind of construction I should be looking to start out with... This boat needs to be in the 20 foot range with a front and back casting platform. It must beable to take a 2-3 foot chop pretty well. Also, it should not draft more then a foot of water with lets say a 90 horse on it....O yeah,,,,, Center Console.....I have an idea of what I want but I would like your input....Thank You this is my first post.....

2. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Welcome to the Forum.

There are many construction techniuqes that could be utilized for the boat you desire. Running a 90hp will limit these options though, as the strength requirments of the hull will be much different than if a 25-40hp were used.

Unless you are set on alot of speed, you might consider a smaller motor that is big enough to get you to planeing speed, with a little reserve.

The above assumes your primary objective is fishing & that you do not already have a 90hp at hand.

You will want a kicker motor of much lower HP for slow manuevering while actually fishing & for a back-up to the main motor.

I'm sure some of the guys will have some specific designs for you. Give it a little time if need be and post again in several days if needed.
    Probably will not be.

Read threads on the variuos constrution methods and decide which ones suit the skills you already posses.

Take care.

TGoz

3. Oyster

Oyster Senior Member

First off an outboard boat, in addition to the bottom draft requires another ten or so inches for the running part of the motor. Most true flats boat will not draw any more than four or so inches with the motor up and even use flats jack plates to raise the motor when underway, This is different than a trim on a motor. Most true flats boats are a dog in any combination of swell and chop and will be a submarine.

Boats catering to true flats boat fishing rarely makes it way north and deal with more than a rare few days over the period of a year's fishing time.
    A dory is not a planning hull except for around 12 to 14 knots at best. So a big engine is also wastefull.

So now tell us again the body of waters and the types of fishing that you intend on doing and this will also help in a response. Each boat is a compromise.

4. sirfisholata

sirfisholata New Member

Im not looking to build a flats boat...When I say casting platform im not refering to it being level with the top of the gunnels. Just a step up...I like the lines of the hampton pulsifer....Something like that with an outboard is what im looking for....Not so much inside but out side I love that boat...( Minus the keel.....)

5. Oyster

Oyster Senior Member

There are a lot of hulls that would work. The hull that you like is more of a tradition designed hull with round bilges. Given that you have never built a boat, one suggestion would be that you do a simple and smaller hull, for a boost of ego, so to speak, or to give you some idea of working with woods. A hard chine boat hull is much easier for setup and instant gratification.

This is good start in plywood.

http://www.boatplans-online.com/proddetail.php?prod=FS12

This is a larger hull and requires basic skills and can be a good hull to learn on in plwoods.

http://www.boatplans-online.com/proddetail.php?prod=D15

This is a great site to poke around, which is more along the lines of traditional designs.

http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/index2.html

ON Yacht World that is actually some of those hulls for sale.
    http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1596224/0

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.