North Sails Inspiration: Fiber and Plastic Polymer Film lamination with Heat for Hull

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mtumut, Jun 8, 2016.

1. mtumut

mtumut Junior Member

Hello there,

I am thinking, can we make polyester film and fiber laminations been hardened, set by the local infrared heat just as north sails ?

Umut
    Istanbul

2. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

Yeah, just knit the whole hull with one of those fiber robots, right on top of a mold.

3. mtumut

mtumut Junior Member

READ BELOW POST IN THE ROW WITH NEW IDEAS AND DANGERS. BEWARE. THIS POST IS WRONG

I am NOT interested with knitting and not with that robot stuff , thinking buying hundreds of meters of bulk polyester film from china and 80 grams per square meter or lighter glass fiber and may be laminate CURVED and set by local heat per two layers or multiple laters OR May be as John Welsford suggested to make a fiberglass panel on FLAT ground and than bend and stitch , may be we can laminate flat but cut panels and set by local heat on flat ground.

I think flat stuff is better. You can make whatever lenght you want.

The better side of that technology which its non use of chemistry , odor , cancer stuff and carrying hundreds of liters of polyester All your stuff is rolled.

Umut

4. mtumut

mtumut Junior Member

Beware , Two Polyester Film With The Glass Fiber Interlayer Does Not Make A Laminate.

You Must Knit With Bare Fiber Strands And There Must Be Openings In The Knitted Fiber Strands To Polyester Films Melt And Join While Locking The Fiber. Thats Why You Must Use Very Thick Laminate And Lots Of Fibers Criss Crossing And Covering Multiple Times The Non Fibered Melt Polyester Areas.

I Think Its Still A Very Good Idea But All The Variables , Things Can Be Go Wrong Must Be Calculated.

Best Way Is To Make Your Foot Square Laminate And Go To Mechanical Engineering Lab At An University And Test The Laminate For Multiple Things Can Go Wrong

And When The Laminate Been Proven , Send It To Naval Architecture Department With All Test Data And Get Their Idea.

5. mtumut

mtumut Junior Member

There can be lots of weak spots in the laminate can be danger source. Make your laminate and test it by expert

weak spot is the weakest link that must be prevented.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

North Sails technology is not something you will be able to replicate at home. I think you need to tone down your arrogance and get some knowledge and experience. It is delirious to believe you can cobble together what took years of experimentation and millions of dollar in equipment and research.

7. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

you keep going on about odor and polyester. do you have experience at all.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.