Norman Cross Trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Jerry_Lincoln, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Geoff Holland

Geoff Holland New Member

Hi, hoping this thread isn't dead. We live on our Norman Cross 34 in Cairns, Far Nth Qld, Australia. Looking for plans and also get in contact with other owners of Norman Cross 34 trimarans to compare notes. My email is GeoffHolland007@gmail.com. Did anyone find out what happened to Jeff Turner?

2. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

I haven't heard what became of Jeff or the plans. The Mariners Museum in Newport News Virginia USA has some Cross plans in their collection and a excellent team in archives and photagraphy.

3. Pat Ross

Pat Ross 1999 Hughes 30 Cat

I contacted the Mariner's Museum, they really do not have much in the way of plans. They have some plan drawings but not enough detail to build from, I don't think.

4. Freelance 85

Freelance 85 New Member

Hello Ron, it sounds like you might have been part of the 50' that was built down there at South bay Multihulls which I now own. It would be cool if you had pictures. That is you are still on this site?

5. John N Anthony

John N Anthony New Member

I have a Cross 38 and I need to do some deck repair. I live out of the USA so getting British measures in plywood difficult.

I need to know the deck size of plywood, I think it is 3/8 inch, but I would like to know before I purchase and ship to my location.

Can you tell me the thickness of the deck plywood?

6. John N Anthony

John N Anthony New Member

I have a Cross 38 and I need to do some deck repair. I live out of the USA so getting British measures in plywood difficult.

I need to know the deck size of plywood, I think it is 3/8 inch, but I would like to know before I purchase and ship to my location.

Can you tell me the thickness of the deck plywood?

7. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Why don't you drill a hole in the deck and measure?
    Cross information seems to be really scarce.

8. Briter

Briter Junior Member

I am looking for plans to build a cross 38 here in the philippines. I have a 46 foot mast and boom and standing rigging from a wrecked hedley nicol boat and this seems to match. Or hedley nicol plans. Any ideas? Here is pic of boat that was wrecked.
    20190304_073707.jpg

9. oldmulti

oldmulti Senior Member

10. cavalier mk2

Ahhh, looks like you had a Nicol Buccaneer possibly which were the last design Hedley was working on. Since he died before they were finished no 2 are alike. The guy who became Bruce Roberts of plan and kit fame skipped off with Nicol plans and peddled them early on.

You need a bigger boat than a Vagabond MK2 for that mast, stock height is 38 and plenty of power, anything over 40 is a bad idea.

Still hard to find Cross plans, especially as the Mariners Museum closed. Mystic Seaport might have some.

For the Philippines building I think I would suggest a Marples Seaclipper of appropriate size to take that mast. John has plans that are affordable and the ply build will be fastest to construct with local labor.

11. Scuff

Scuff Senior Member

Cavalier, the museum in Norfolk VA closed?

12. cavalier mk2

My mistake on the Mariners Museum in Newport News Virginia, I heard it closed for awhile but the website says it is open. The Cross plans are part of the D.H. Clarke Collection. Not sure what is there. They also have Newick and Piver collections.

13. Scuff

Scuff Senior Member

Great. I'm not too far away and I get my resin and cloth in Norfolk. It's on my list to stop in there I just never seem to have the extra time.

14. Briter

Briter Junior Member

Thanks for the response. I have an experienced builder here who has built several multihulls for andy smith here in bohol. So pretty confident in his abilities. The museum does have cross 37 plans and am waiting to receive those plans. I may modify and stretch. The aluminum mast i have is 45' and rigging would need some modifications . Also the hedley was a cutter rig. So im wondering if i can accomodate existing rigging to the cross 37 design. Any thoughts?

15. cavalier mk2

As I recollect the Cross 37 is one of the older chine hull designs for sheet ply. I think it was set up as a ketch but could be converted to a cutter as could most Cross ketches with the correct mast step support and reinforcements for the moved chain plates. Cross Tris are easier to work with mast location than some boats because the keel can take the load of the mast step support beam that tends to land between bulkheads on a cutter.
    Also if you stretch move all the stations a bit, not just the bow and stern. Trevor Banks 45 actually was built around Cross 39R molds so it can be done but again, know your engineering.

You also might try to contact Dsanduril on the multihull section of Cruisers Forum who has plans in rough condition for the Cross 40 which was a stretched 38 with the curved cold molded hulls.
    That boat went around the world several times. Check your sail area and mast height when sizing up a boat, if it is too different look at something else.
    I still like the Sea Clipper idea for current designer support if you aren't used to playing with this stuff.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.