Norman Cross Trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Jerry_Lincoln, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Does anyone have any plans or study plans for the 37rr Cross trimaran?

2. Driedcacti

Driedcacti New Member

I'm also interested in them

3. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Was that a similar to the later 32 r ? The old 36 r was a vented wing design from the 70s.

4. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I've actually been corrected that it was a 37AA. I'm just looking at the feasibility of putting an offer in for and fixing an existing boat that was recently damaged in Coffs Harbour, NSW. It has suffered extensive float damage but the main hull is not too badly damaged and it still has it's rig.

5. cavalier mk2

I just had to delete my long winded Cross 37 reply because I just noticed the AA37 which is of course a Piver Advanced Amateur design. Complete plans can be obtained from the Mariners Museum in Newport News Virginia for a very reasonable fee, either as a down load or in printed form.

6. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Sorry, I would have been interested in reading it. The boat is definitely a Cross 37 the AA designation could well have been wrong just what was sent by the broker. I do have a few of the boat in its wrecked state though, a sad sight.

Attached Files:

7. cavalier mk2

Well that isn't a Cross 37 which was a early v bottom chined tri. That is a Cross with a transom/swimstep addition making it 37 feet. Some of the other measurements could help narrow down the model. It could be a 36R or a stretched 34, modified 32r etc...

It looks like you could make frame patterns off the surviving ama and pieces and mirror image them. Despite what it looks like it seems a fairly straight forward repair with care taken on the beam ends and blocking of the boat during assembly.

Jeff Turner would have stuff but nobody seems to be able to find him or Norm's plans. The Mariners Museum has some Cross stuff but it is from Nobby Clark's collection which probably predates this boat.

For fun here aresome views of the stock Cross 37, a earlier design.

Attached Files:

8. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Fair point the transom extension looks like it has been added later. It's a US built boat apparently. It listed beam at 22' in the advertisement.

Attached Files:

9. cavalier mk2

This is the 32r, the only Cross I could find with 22' of beam. The 36r has more, the 34 mk2 less. Check out the part where it says a 34'4" version was available from the designer. It could be another design modified, check the main hull at the keel, if it has the coke bottle shape it is derived from the 32r for the aerospace "area rule" regarding foils. If it is straight, without the waist I'd lean towards a modified 34 mk2. The main hull dimensions like beam and headroom would give the clue.

The area rule was from Norm's time in the aerospace industry. For super sonic planes the idea was to narrow the fuselage in the area at the root of delta wings to compensate for the section area of the wing. On a boat with a keel like a Cross this keeps a high prismatic coefficient. The 32r is a quick boat, easily hitting double digits without a hump if not over loaded/ overbuilt etc....

Attached Files:

10. PocoLoco805

PocoLoco805 New Member

Wrecked Cross

I know that boat, Seashine, she was something special! It is a 32r that was stretched at the transoms. It also had a modified keel that was hollow and deeper than the original. I know the guy who sold it to the Aussie that let it wreck. He had owned the boat for over 25 years and kept the boat in amazing shape! If anyone has the skills to put her back together, please do, she is an amazing boat, so fast! I can get in touch with the previous owner and answer any questions, he is heart-broken and would love to see his old boat saved!

11. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Phil Day who can be contacted through multihull central was brokering the boat. The Coffs Harbour slipway is not currently operational which would have necessitated a crane to pull the boat out and the cost of shipping the remains back to Melbourne from there to rebuild were not economic. It's a real shame hopefully the boat went to someone who had the time, money and enthusiasm to rebuild it but most likely it will be picked over for parts and discarded.

12. Ron. K

Ron. K New Member

Hi, I just stumbled onto your post. I worked at South Bay multi Hull from1981 to 1985. In that time frame 5 boats where built at the yard. One large cat went to Maui as a charter boat. One 50 foot trimaran went to the Bahamas and one went to Texas both to work in the Charter Business. One 35 foot trimaran was built for a retired Navy officer. I believe he headed for Hawaii but not sure. 44 catamaran was built for a couple from New Mexico who planned on doing some extended cruising. I don't think the 44 foot cat was designed by Norm cross, I can't remember who the designer was. If you're still interested in finding out more about boats built by South Bay let me know, I may have some old photographs tucked away somewhere. I would love to know which boat you own.

13. Ron. K

Ron. K New Member

14. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier New Member

IMG_0476.JPG Wow... great thread for us Cross fanatics.... I am living on a 37' Cross tri in CA, USA... She was built in 1966. She sails sweet. I would love to get plans for her...

kelldog likes this.

15. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Search on Cross plans.
    The guy who is supposed to represent them lives or lived in San Deigo.
    No one has been able to find him for years.
    Quite a few people would like to get a hold of plans.
    Maybe you could find him.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.